• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The best RAM Config

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darkfa11

OK, I can't get what I want. That is Kingmax TinyBGA 512MB PC2700-DDR. So, Here's my choices. Please tell me which you think is best.

Plan A
3 Kingmax TinyBGA 256MB PC 2700-DDR (CAS 2.5 I believe)

or

Plan B
2 Nanya 512MB PC2400 300MHZ DDR CAS 2.0

(very hard for me to find by the way.. they are here;
http://www.memorysuppliers.com/nan51pc30ddr.html )

OK here's the deal;
If I go with plan A, even though I have 166MHz capability I lose timing cause I'm runnin 3 chips and they have are CAS 2.5.

If I go with Plan B, I Might not be able to Overclock them as high as 166 and I would lose speed because of this.

So, the question for this case is what's more important here? Timeing or MgHz?

Which do I go with?

Well if you are going to use a board with 1/5 divider so you can actually run at a very high fsb then probably go with the kingmax.
Just because its rated cas 2.5 does not mean it won't run at cas 2. 5ns on the kingmax is the fastest memory I have seen so far.

I am running 2x256mb of crucial 2100 cas 2.5 7.5ns memory at 155mhz fsb cas 2.

I personally think a gig of memory is a waste 512mb is plenty.

Hmm.. Lost me a bit. That's why I love these boards. There are so many people who are smarter then me!

The board I'm going to use is the Soyo-Kt7V Dragon Plus. I guess I need a bit of education concerning the 1/5 timer.

I usually only run 256MB of memory myself but, I play Everquest and with the just released Shadow's of Luclin they have revised thier "Recommended" Specs to 512MB. I figure if that's what's recommend I'll want another 256MB for breathing room.

Have to ask in the motherboard section about that board and if it has a 1/5 divider as I am not familiar with it.

A 1/5 pci divider means that as the fsb gets to around 160 instead of keeping the pci bus running at 1/4 the fsb it switches the pci bus to 1/5 the fsb speed.

Many 33mhz pc components will not run correctly if the pci bus gets too far away from the 33mhz specification going over 40mhz is considered risky.

The only real motherboard I know of that is boasting about having a 1/5 and 1/6 pci divider is the iwill xp333.

Back