• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make IE stop taking over in Vista? Firefox won't stay default!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

Ok, I was finally able to build my system (in the sig) today...well yesterday now. I installed Vista and have been playing with it, trying to get a feel for it. The one problem i can't fix so far is keeping damned IE from taking over the default position for the browser. I have installed Firefox, and everytime I open it, I get the "do you want to make Firefox the default browser?" message. And of course I say yes. But it doesn't stay. I even went to Internet OPtions and told IE to stop asking. Apparently it doesn't care what I think.

How do I remove the nazi grasp that IE has on my system?

When you have problems like this with other programs, like utorrent not registering as the default .torrent handler you can do it through Vista for example. This is harder when you have multiple types of files you want to open with a program, but for something like utorrent it's simple.

Download a file you want to have open with that program, right click it, choose open with. (hold down shift and right click if you don't see Open With). Select uTorrent, or FF, or whatever program you're using and choose always use this program with this kind of file. Vista will then put the code in the right part of the registry as some programs will copy it in the wrong place.

Also, nice icon Jive, Heroes ftw. :)

Back