• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 2000 & 2003 migration questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rxtrom

This might not be too O/S specific, but here is my problem and maybe some of you could help.

I am moving a couple of servers to new homes, and I want to be able to take an image using ghost 2003. That part is easy.

The question comes in when the image is on the new machines...

The new Machines have Bootable RAID cards, and I know the image will not have the appropriate drivers for the RAID card in its new home.

How can I accomplish this.

Thanks in advance

I accomplish this myself by having a backup sata drive outside my RAID 0 array. I put a minimal XP32 install on this drive and I boot into it to copy/restore images to my XP64 & Vista partitions on my array. Works like a charm.

Not sure I follow.

My problem is not how to image it, but how to get the images w/o the new hardware to boot properly.

I use a network boot cd and net use over to the image directory, then ghost blows the image onto the new drive (RAID), but when I boot I get an error b/c the drivers are not in the boot list for the servers..

Follow me? OR am I lost

Copy the image, boot to 2K/2K3 install CD, choose F6 to add additional drivers, do a repair, reboot into Windows.

I did do that,but it messed some things up. I needed to reinstall some apps. That worked for the image of the machine that had 2003. SO I am ok w/ that, and I am almost done w/ that one.

The other machine has Server 2000, on it ,and I want to upgrade to server 2003.
Now the way I know (not ideal) is to do the same thing, except repair w/ server 2000, and then once server2000 boots I will insert the server 2003 cd and do an upgrade, but again, that is kind of messy

Just thought there was a way to install the raid drivers on the old machine, and then the image would be good.

Acronis TrueImage will allow for adding additional drivers when bringing up a new image if you want to go that route, but what I suggested is the only way I know of.

Jon said:
Acronis TrueImage will allow for adding additional drivers when bringing up a new image if you want to go that route, but what I suggested is the only way I know of.

Awsome!!

Thanks

Back