• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Codecs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantasm

Ok, i have an old video file on my system from a buddy in Iraq. Problem is i can't see it, i can hear it but thats it.

Is there anyway to find out which codec i need to install to make the video work?

GSpot is good at handling AVI files...what is the extension? Give K Lite Mega Codec Pack a shot...it runs every video I've ever seen.

I would first run Gspot to find out what you need, it will tell you exactly what A/V codecs you need, then you can go obtain just what you need.

Sometimes packs can cause some problems or undesired behavior

Moved to the appropriate forum. Please practice good thread starting habits, I have better things to do than sweep up after you. :p

Thelemac said:
Moved to the appropriate forum. Please practice good thread starting habits, I have better things to do than sweep up after you. :p

Sorry. Didn't think to put it here.

I.M.O.G. said:
I would first run Gspot to find out what you need, it will tell you exactly what A/V codecs you need, then you can go obtain just what you need.

Sometimes packs can cause some problems or undesired behavior

Gspot worked great!! Found my codec and got it installed. I love this place.

Last edited:
I know you already solved your problem, but I would suggest trying out Comnbined Community Codec Pack.

Would suggest K-Lite codec pack :) Google it and you'll find it ;)

Know the case is solved of yours :)

Personally, I don't like codec packs, mainly because of massive bloat and redundency.

I would only install the most common stuff (either through ffdshow or individually) - xvid, divx, etc - and go the route of GSpot and individual codecs if you run into anything uncommon.

Back