• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which memory would be best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarlax

I am going to be ordering parts for my new build soon and I am pretty sure about everything but the RAM. Here is the machine I am going to build:

e6600
P5b-Deluxe
Tuniq Tower cooler
2 x 250gig 7200.10 drives in MATRIX raid
PC Power and Cooling 610
8800 GTS

Now to go with it I am trying to decide between the following RAM:

BUFFALO Firestix (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

G.SKILL (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

I would really like to OC to 3.6 or maybe even more, which would be a good bet? I can get the Firestix the cheapest but are they as good as the G.Skill???

Thanks

I think the G.Skill is going to yield the highest performance. IIRC, these are still D9GMH. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065) The Firestix and the other G.Skill aren't anything special, probably Promos ICs. I would imagine you could get like 430-450mhz out of them. Since you have an E6600 you don't really need the high FSB but you might want the 4-4-4-12 timings if you plan on doing more benching.

Jarlax,

I actually have those BUFFALO FireStix and I got them from the egg. I ordered mine a week ago and they are D9GMH's which is a great deal for under 200 USD.
I was skeptical that it was actually D9GMH's so I took off the heat spreaders and luckily they were.

Towjumper82 said:
Jarlax,

I actually have those BUFFALO FireStix and I got them from the egg. I ordered mine a week ago and they are D9GMH's which is a great deal for under 200 USD.
I was skeptical that it was actually D9GMH's so I took off the heat spreaders and luckily they were.
Do you by chance have a picture of that? I thought only the CAS4 variant was D9GMH.

Sure I'll take a picture of it when I take it apart in a couple of days. I want to test how far I can go w/ this ram before I take it out again.

Back