• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bizarre sound bug in Windows XP SP2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AzureNightmareX

Registered
Ever since i got rid of the programming disaster that is Windows Vista Ultimate X64 and reinstalled XP pro 32 bit with SP2, Ive been having this weird issue with my sound. sound clips will trigger randomly, some i recognize, others I do not. Ive tried everything possible to stop it but it seems to not stop no matter how hard i try. the clips range from sound effects of various types to 1 or 2 second music clips. I just want it to stop. Can anybody help me The sound card im useing is onboard AC'97 sound on an Epox ULi socket 939 motherboard.

Look around for the latest drivers for the AC'97, just to make sure. Also, look at the Epox site and see if any bios releases mention this kind of fault. And last but not least, reinstall :)

Has this problem only appeared since this reinstall? If so, that would generally point to something wrong with this install.

Device Manager -> delete the Realtek sound device, then install drivers for the device downloaded from the internet.

Sounds like rubbish drivers supplied on CD again...

I never install drivers off a supplied CD. Had too much bad experiences with them. They're usually out of date, have too many problems etc.

I know I need to, but there are other things I need to focus on, like getting the right motherboard for my video card, getting a better processor, a decent mouse, keyboard and the parts i need to get my Exos water cooling system back up and running

Edit:I seemed to think the problem was being caused by the Combined Community Codec Pack, but I uninstalled that and even that didnt stop it.

I think I have tracked the problem to a bad messenger install

update: AIM 6.0 was causing me the trouble, so i got rid of it and installed aim 5.9

Last edited:
Back