• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIndows XP PRO Product Key problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

I've just reinstalled Win XP PRO on a desktop, went to the activation setup and after I typed in my Product Key I got an message saying I've exceeded the number of times I can activate Windows.
Microsoft won't help because I got the Laptop through Dell,
I've had trouble in the past with the Dell tech support (turned out I known more than them!!) so I want to ask here before resorting to Indian and Scotish call centres!

(Due to truoble I had after buying the computer, from Dell through my college, I actually ended up getting 2 copies of Windows XP PRO, one the standard CD Dell gives you with a new laptop and the other in the form of a 4 disk ISO with all the settings for using the laptop in my college.)

Is there anyway around this?

Whats really annoying it says no where on the packaging that there is an install limit.

If you have the green xp pro cd that dell shiped with your laptop it is a oen copy and doesnt ask you for a key @ all when you install it. Or using the second key you have you could just call the ms # that it gave you and they will ask if this key will only be on one pc when you say yes they willl give you a new key .

It is the Green OS CD, the OS on that CD is on the desktop only. I only have one product key and it says if I don't activate Windows in 30 days I won't be able to use it.
I did have the software running fine on the desktop last week, I had to reinstall due to some problem I couldn't fix.

You're trying to use the same product key for both the desktop and laptop? I'm having trouble following your issue. Sounds like you have two CDs, but only one key.

You are right I'll try to explain clearer.

I am trying to load the following on to my desktop:-
Dell Win XP OS CD with a product key.

And I already have the following loaded on to my laptop:-
4 CD ISO from my college that doesn't have a porduct key, it never asks for activation after a reinstall.

All the CD's came with the Dell laptop. The laptop had been set up in the factory with the ISO CD's and the other Dell OS CD I have loaded onto an old desktop PC I have to try out things, they usually go wrong which is why I have restalled Windows several times.

What is the max amount of times you can activate Windows from the one product key?

So you are using two product keys, just that the 4CD set has the product automatically entered when you install it.

As far as how many activations you're allowed, I don't know. I'd say call Microsoft, as well. Dell isn't going to be able to do anything for you. Do not give MS any information, just that you are attempting to reinstall and it won't let you activate. Less is more with them.

I'm in Ireland, MS might have a different setup here. Turns out the MS offices are just down the road from me anyway!

Update for those who are interested.

You need the PC on infront of you and connected to the internet while doing this.
I rang the MS help number 1800 930031 (I think it's probable here in Ireland maybe England). Thats the number if click on Telephone in the activation window after you have tryed the registation number too many time. You get 7 blocks of 6 numbers, thats your ID code when you call.
It's fully automated, unless there are futher problems.

It asked how many machine this copy of Windows was loaded on, I said one.
It asked had I made major hardware changes recently, I siad no.
It asked if it the software was store bought or came with PC, I said came with PC.
I think there was another question, can't remember.

Once confirmed and checked ok at their end, it read out 7 blocks of 6 numbers which I then typed into the boxes on the screen, then click next and it was done.

There was no mention of the limit of time you can register, but if your running it on one PC at a time you probable just need to call this number every few times?

Maybe not so simple if you have it loaded on several PC's, but there's my expirence of things anyway. Hope this maybe of some use to someone in the future.

I've done that plenty of times when I used my OEM copy of WinXP from IBuyPower. I use a student edition of XP Pro now.

Back