• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Ghost hangs on disk copy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Annoyingrob

I haven't posted in a while, but I had a problem yesterday that I just can't figure out.

My computer (A8N-SLI Premium, Dual core [email protected], 2gb ram, etc) is currently running off of 2x75gb raptors in Raid 0. They are almost full, and I was attempting to copy the contents over to 2x150gb raptors in Raid 0 that I recently installed into the computer. All four drives are hooked up to the onboard Raid controller (SiI 3114).

I use Norton Ghost 9 on my network for backing up my machines offsite, so I decided to use that to copy the disk over. I tell it to copy c: to the 300gb of unpartitined space, expand to fill the space, set as primary, write MBR, and have tried with error checking enabled or disabled, as well as smart sector copying enabled or disabled.

The machine will start copying, then hang for about 2 minutes where the computer is completely unusable. Then after that it continues on normally. The hard drive light is on constantly, and the program seems to be doing something, but I left it for over 2 hours, and is was still at 0%. restart the computer normally, to cancel the operation (hitting cancel just says cancelling.... and doesn't do anything), and when I reboot, there is a 300gb NTFS partition there that is corrupt, so obviously it has copied a little. Should it take this long? I mean at this rate, it will be days before the whole 120gb of information is copied over.

I'm just confused. I would really like a program I can boot off of a CD, and copy over, I'm not a big fan of disk copying on a live partition, I think it may be causing problems. Or else, I would just like to hear some input on how to get this to work, or atleast what's going on.

Well, as usual, the answer becomes obvious the second I post the question.

It seems that one of the raptors is somehow locking up, and not doing anything. When I do a soft reset, you can see the drive is not detected after locking up. With a power cycle, it comes back. I don't know if it's a problem with my controller or the drive itself.

Sounds like the click of death. (COD)

COD'ing I'm afraid. Probably a bad HDD, bad sectors, which are common with Western Digitals. :(

shadowdr said:
Could very well be the wiring, I have seen it many times.

True, seen it a handful of times when using Norton Ghost...Bad cable or heck even loose.

If not that then the HDD could be on its last days, put it through the WD HDD Check program.

Back