• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P965-DS3 & E6300 OC to 2.8Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColonelPwnage

Registered
Hello all...

I finally got my new pc built, and I am trying to OC my E6300 C2D to 2.8 Ghz and I am not having the best of luck. I am using a Gigabyte P965-DS3 Rev. 3.3 F10 BIOS. I am also using 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 dual channel kit memory.

Here is what I did for my 2.8 attempt... I set 7x400 in the bios, 1:1 memory ratio, upped the v-core to 1.68, upped the ddr2 by +0.3 to make it 2.1 and it booted into Windows fine, but when I do a shutdown on the computer and start it up again, it does not POST. I have to then clear the cmos using the jumper and start over. If anyone has overclocked the E6300 to 2.8 using this board, I would be eternally grateful if someone could post their bios settings M.I.T screen.

I need the following settings for the above specified overclock.

DDR2 OverVoltage Control
PCI-E OverVoltage Control
FSB OverVoltage Control
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control
CPU Voltage Control

Thanks in advance!

Umm, what kind of cooling are you using? 1.68v is INSANE on even good air. Keep it under 1.5 for sure, aim for 1.45. Monitor your temps and try not to let it get over 55C.

You're running your ram at stock, so you don't need to overvolt. Check manu's specs and run it like that unless you go over 400fsb. You also don't need to overvolt your pci-e. FSB and MCH, I'd say +.2

Next, you can't just dial in 400fsb and expect it to work. Try gradationally. Try 333, 366 first, at LEAST. Also, some boards don't like 370-400fsb. Try 366, stress test it for a while, then jump to 405 or 410.

Post the rest of your hardware. It could be a psu problem, but we can't tell unless you provide that info.

Also, the NB's get really hot on that board. Set up a fan to blow on it.

Thanks for responding so quickly...I used that 1.68 vcore setting because of a step-by-step OC guide on tomshardware.com That could be my problem.
I'm using a Zalman CNSP9700 LED cooler and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.

brickout said:
Umm, what kind of cooling are you using? 1.68v is INSANE on even good air. Keep it under 1.5 for sure, aim for 1.45. Monitor your temps and try not to let it get over 55C.

You're running your ram at stock, so you don't need to overvolt. Check manu's specs and run it like that unless you go over 400fsb. You also don't need to overvolt your pci-e. FSB and MCH, I'd say +.2

Next, you can't just dial in 400fsb and expect it to work. Try gradationally. Try 333, 366 first, at LEAST. Also, some boards don't like 370-400fsb. Try 366, stress test it for a while, then jump to 405 or 410.

Post the rest of your hardware. It could be a psu problem, but we can't tell unless you provide that info.

Also, the NB's get really hot on that board. Set up a fan to blow on it.

Okay, at least you're not using stock cooling with those volts...Temperatures should not be a problem for you as long as you keep the core @1.4or below. Sorry about giving two different suggestions, I was working with e4300 in mind, not e6300.

Work on posting a detailed list of your hardware. After that, read some of the stickies here and on other forums for some basics.

You referenced the Tom's Hardware guide...is this it? If so, it recommends 1.37 for your cpu. That's a decent guide to follow, except that you shouldn't just shoot for a high OC. You need to experiment with lower speeds to get a feel for your system.

Actually, when I said 1.68....I actually meant 1.368, sorry for the confusion

ColonelPwnage said:
Hello all...

I finally got my new pc built, and I am trying to OC my E6300 C2D to 2.8 Ghz and I am not having the best of luck. I am using a Gigabyte P965-DS3 Rev. 3.3 F10 BIOS. I am also using 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 dual channel kit memory.

Here is what I did for my 2.8 attempt... I set 7x400 in the bios, 1:1 memory ratio, upped the v-core to 1.68, upped the ddr2 by +0.3 to make it 2.1 and it booted into Windows fine, but when I do a shutdown on the computer and start it up again, it does not POST. I have to then clear the cmos using the jumper and start over. If anyone has overclocked the E6300 to 2.8 using this board, I would be eternally grateful if someone could post their bios settings M.I.T screen.

I need the following settings for the above specified overclock.

DDR2 OverVoltage Control
PCI-E OverVoltage Control
FSB OverVoltage Control
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control
CPU Voltage Control

Thanks in advance!

i have a very similar setup to yours except that my mobo is a DS3 rev 2.0. e6300 and same ram (only 1gb though). i'm at 3.2ghz right now 24 hrs stable in prime95. here are my settings which might help you out:

FSB: 458 mhz
RAM: 916 Mhz
vDIMM: +0.2V
FSB voltage: +0.1V
MCH voltage: +0.1V
vCore: 1.368V

Back