• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro Add/remove programs is gone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

I have had this problem for several months now, but I am just finally getting around to asking you guys how do I fix this? I dont really want to have to do a reformat. So how do I restore the Add/removce programs feature? I have even tried going in through the disk cleanup in system tools and it wont work either. Something or some program has deleted this feature is what I figure. :bang head

Its not...there? did it disapear after you did something? remember anything about it?

You could always do what my sister does and delete all of the contents of program files.

Your post is a little vague in that you didn't specify exactly what the problem with Add or Remove Programs is. Like Cheator already asked, is the feature not available in the Control Panel? And what do you mean by "It won't work"... when you click on the feature nothing happens? Since you're running the Pro version of XP, you may want to check in the Group Policy Editor under...

Local Computer Policy | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs

Without knowing exactly what your problem is, double click a few of the settings in the RH pane-->"Explain" tab for an explanation of what each setting does i.e...

Remove Add or Remove Programs
Hide Change or Remove Programs Page
... etc. You might possibly find the answer from within the GP Editor, as to why the Add or Remove Programs feature isn't working for you.

Lol, the icon is not there. The feature is no longer available to me. Unless somebody could tell me of a backdoor way to use it. I would show you a print screen of it, but I am not sure how without uploading it to a hosting site. Anyways, the icon hasnt been there for awhile now. I am not sure when it dissapeared.

Why do you need a "backdoor" way to use the feature? I already explained to you how to show it by using the GP Editor.

I read your above post, but I am still not sure what you are asking me to do. I am not seeing Local Computer Policy anywhere. Excuse me if I sound inept here, but I am not real familiar with the inner workings of XP. I am always eager to learn something new though.

who knows why its missing, maybe someone looked into the registiry and said , no add remove anymore.. (quite possable)

But to get to the menu.

Start> run ; appwiz.cpl

So if thats not working..

http://www.openopinion.com/images/gpedit.JPG
heres a picuture of the highly hiddin (ok.. so i never seen it before myself and dunno were to access it cept run )

To open that , start>run : gpedit.msc

Last edited:
lol, running appwiz.cpl doesnt do anything. It doesnt even tell me that it is an invalid command.

It is starting to look like I am going to have to reformat. I guess that it is about time. It has been about 2 years.

I used the gpedit.msc one and I enabled add remove programs but it still isnt showing up in control panel. That menu is pretty cool, I had never seen it before you gave me that command line.

Back