• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse movement problem in XP 64-bit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ph0b0s

Registered
Mouse pointer movement problem in XP 64-bit.

I have just recently installed XP x64 for the first time after using XP SP2 without this problem. I have found that the mouse pointer / cursor now moves faster left than right and faster up than down.

This can be seen by putting the cursor in the middle of my screen and placing the left side of my mouse against the side of my keyboard. Then repeatedly moving the mouse a bit right (making sure not to go off the screen) and then back against the keyboard. If things are working properly then the cursor should always return to the same point (the middle of the screen). In win x64 the cursor progressively finishes further left than where it stared, until it goes left off screen.

To make sure I was testing fairly I did a clean install of XP SP2 and XP x64. After the installation finished all I did was to go to the mouse options, turn off 'Enhance pointer precision' and set the 'pointer speed' to the 3rd of the 10 settings. Then I carried out the test I documented above and found that XP SP2 was fine with the mouse always finishing in the middle of the screen. In Win x64 the mouse finished further and further to the left until it hits the side of the screen.

As well as my Razor Diamondback mouse I also tested with a Microsoft Intellimouse and an old ps/2 mouse. Which all demonstrated the same problem with win x64 but was ok with XP SP2. I also tried THW Arie's acceleration fix from razorblueprints.net and aion.n0.be which replaces win32k.sys. Also I tried the registry fix for the smoothcurveX and Y. These both had no effect. Also installing the latest Razor software does not help

The only thing I have been able to do to mitigate it, is to set the 'pointer speed' to the middle. But this is not an acceptable solution as the mouse is just to fast now.

I have seen this problem reported once or twice elsewhere, but no solutions have been given apart from removing acceleration, which has had no effect for me. So I would like this thread to be both a place for a solution if anyone knows one, but also a place for people to post if they are having the same issue. I would like to know if this is a wide spread or well know issue or if it is just me suffering from it. That will allow me to determine if it is my individual hardware rather than the software issue it seems to be at the moment.

Thanks

Athlon 4000+
1 Gb Corsair XMS
Asus A8N-SLI Premium 1009
WD Raptor 150 Gb
Gforce 7800 GT
Audigy 4
Enermax Liberty 500W

Last edited:
Make sure you have all the updates for win xp x64. Also, update the bios to see if that makes any difference.

Cant say i've heard of this one before....

and welcome to the forums :)

Last edited:
Thank's, good to be here. Have the latest updates from microsoft and the lastest bios. I still have the same problem. For a laugh also tried increasing the usb port polling rate, but that just made it worse...

Bump.... No difference after XP x64 SP2 installation anyone got any idea's or seen this behaviour, or is it just me?

1. Are you using version 6.02 of the Razer Diamondback software / drivers?
2. Are you using version 6.1 of the IntelliPoint software for the MS mouse?
3. Before testing each of the mice listed, are you completely removing the previous drivers via Add or Remove programs?
4. After installing SP2 did you revisit the Windows Update site, and install all the latest available patches?

Thanks for the response.
1. Yep
2. Yes, but no difference.
3.Clean install each time.
4. Done, no updates.

Back