• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I must be missing something (S3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I had a 965P-S3 for only about an hour before it up and died on me, but I must be missing something. I'm using an E6300 and some Patriot DD2667 with this board and I'm not looking for any spectacular overclocks, but am I just way behind in the curve, or is there some memory settings I'm missing?

I was hoping for 400FSB for 2.8GHz, but I didn't see any settings to let me run async on the memory so that I can keep it close to 667MHz (the memory won't do much more than stock). All I have is Auto, 2, 3, 4, etc. The lowest these allow me to go is 800MHz on the memory and it wouldn't boot at that (raising VDIMM doesn't matter). I'm hoping I'm missing something somewhere and maybe I'm just a little behind since the last I did any overclocking was with my X2/Ultra-D, but I figure things are pretty much the same.

I realize there's a CTRL+F1 to adjust memory timings, but I never got that far before the board died, so I don't know if it has what I'm looking for or not. So, can someone "learn" me on this :]

I may or may not be getting another S3 depending on Fry's (I'm pretty sure I got the last one). At any rate, I'll probably be getting the DS3 if the S3 is unavailable, so I guess the same applies unless I go for the P5B if neither is there.

Thanks!

Hi Jon -

Yeah, that's a drawback to the S3 and the DS3. Can't run ram slower than fsb...I'm kind of in the same boat as you, since I only have ddr2 667, but with loose timings you should be able to up it a bit. Look at the manufacturer's specification timings at 533 and 667, then you can do a weak extrapolation to 800 speeds

Something like mine: @533, 4-4-4-12, @667, 5-5-5-15, so @800, something like 6-6-6-18 should work. and it does, for me.

Also, give it +.2 or .3 v in Bios, along with upping your FSB and MCH voltage a tad.

The S3 is a great board, basically as fast as a DS3 but a bit cheaper, so I personally wouldn't hesitate to get another one. However, you may want to consider selling your patriot ram and getting some ddr2 800 stuff just to ease your mind.

Good luck!

S3 was out of stock at Fry's so I grabbed the DS3 at MicroCenter for a few bucks more (on sale). I don't know what happened to the last one. Set it at 400FSB, upped the RAM +.2v, +.1V FSB, and set my VCORE to 1.35 and it never posted again.

Wasn't aware you couldn't go below 1:1 on these when I decided to buy, but I guess I can't complain. I'll get some of the DDR2800 in a couple of weeks as it's not really a priority for me at the moment. I'll just get what I can get out of it for now.

Thanks!

Jon said:
Wasn't aware you couldn't go below 1:1 on these when I decided to buy, but I guess I can't complain. I'll get some of the DDR2800 in a couple of weeks as it's not really a priority for me at the moment. I'll just get what I can get out of it for now.
Thanks!
Thats a limitation of the 965 chipset.

Well, this Patriot ended up doing DDR2-800 anyway. No idea what the timings are, but I don't really care right now.

2.8GHz on the E6300 so I'm pretty happy considering it's only an upgraded secondary box.

Back