• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on flashing BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bloodshedder

Registered
Background: I just put the system in my sig together. The case and hard drives are from a previous system, as is the contents of the hard drives including the OS (Windows XP Home).

Vital stats for the new hardware (from CPU-Z):

MB - P5B Deluxe Rev 1.xx, chipset Rev C1
BIOS - 0507
E6400 - Conroe Rev B2

The only thing I did was install/update drivers from the CD that came with the MB.

What I want to do is update the BIOS, chipset drivers and reinstall Windows XP PRO.

Questions:

What version of the BIOS is best/most stable?

What method should I use to flash the BIOS?

What sequence should I attack this in? BIOS, chipset drivers, OS?

I think the consensus opinion is that 0910 is the best BIOS at this time.

You can use EZ Flash found in the "Tools" menu of the BIOS.

I would update the BIOS first.

I assume you have a running system so, I would use Windows Update to see what fixes are found. Using the information you get from Windows Update I would weigh that against information you get from the various vendors sites for the drivers you use.

Then I would decide which to do next, drivers or Windows Updates.

I agree with Rogelah, Asus EZ Flash is GREAT, dont have to mess with boot disks or anything. Works well, did it on my p5wdh and my p4p800e

bloodshedder try the one it came with first might just work fine ..

I Would not update bios only if you have a problem you could be flashing into trouble ... if all well then why flash :)

if you do and use Asus EZ Flash after you turn off might not post just clear cmos and take battery out and unplug power for couple of mins should boot fine after that :)

The bios come with the motherboard usually outdated, it will be stable but may not be the best.

Back