• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to permanently disable enforced driver signing in Vista 64 bit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Finally, coretemp works without hitting F8 all the time. Warning - this will permanently disable the need to use signed drivers, IDK of a way to turn it back on, but I loathe this enforcement.

Start > Run > Type 'CMD'

Type the below (or copy/paste) in the dos prompt. Reboot. Done.

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

I typed that and it said data store can not be opened Access is denied. I am logged in as admin. Any ideas?

Those working and not working should post Vista versions. Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate? OEM, Upgrade, Retail? Might help to see if there is a common denominator for who cant apply this fix.

I have no idea why it is not working as it worked fine for me! Surfrider77's suggestion is a good one. I am running Vista Ultimate RTM.

I'm running Retail Vista Ultimate 64 as a 30 day trial. I typed it in my console ie.
start/run/cmd

suprcharg said:
I'm running Retail Vista Ultimate 64 as a 30 day trial. I typed it in my console ie.
start/run/cmd

Sent you a PM, hope the info is helpful for you. (Just a trick to make the 30 day Vista trial extended to 120 days) ;)

How about using the Group Policy Editor to disable "Code signing for drivers"? Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Driver Installation

In the RH pane right click the "Code signing for drivers" setting--> Properties | Under the "Setting" tab select the "Ignore" radio button.

Ya that makes it livable in Vista 64 :)

suprcharg said:
I typed that and it said data store can not be opened Access is denied. I am logged in as admin. Any ideas?

If it didn't work make a shortcut to the cmd.exe. On that right click and run as admin and see if that works. Sounds like what your running into is you aren't running it from a "true" admin mode which there is 2 levels of in Vista. User account admin, and the supreme admin by forcing the program to run in a higher admin mode.

redduc900 said:
How about using the Group Policy Editor to disable "Code signing for drivers"? Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Driver Installation

In the RH pane right click the "Code signing for drivers" setting--> Properties | Under the "Setting" tab select the "Ignore" radio button.

But, but thats too easy ;)

Thanks a bunch you guys!!!!! I had to go to my windows/system32 directory to find the file, but created a shortcut to cmd.exe on my desktop and ran as admin and BOOM! "The operation completed successfully"
Thanks again.

Silversinksam said:
Sent you a PM, hope the info is helpful for you. (Just a trick to make the 30 day Vista trial extended to 120 days) ;)

Seems like something that Microsoft might deem as against their terms and perhaps illegal?

roYal said:
Seems like something that Microsoft might deem as against their terms and perhaps illegal?

Why a Microsoft rep suggested it. As well its built into the OS that way. Its not a work around it comes with Vista as is. Its another hole MS forgot to patch up before releasing just like the Update of the Update.

nikhsub1 said:
Finally, coretemp works without hitting F8 all the time. Warning - this will permanently disable the need to use signed drivers, IDK of a way to turn it back on, but I loathe this enforcement.

Start > Run > Type 'CMD'

Type the below (or copy/paste) in the dos prompt. Reboot. Done.

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
Haha! Now Symantec et al. can continue polluting the Windows kernel with their antivirus software.

A monopolistic tactic foiled by a simple technical solution...nicely done.

*braces for Microsoft to "fix" the "vulnerability" in the next "update"*

neither of these options work for me.

I am running RTM x64 ultimate from msdn download.

the group policy edit does nothing and the command line gives me the same error others get.

edit: I got it to work.

start/run/cmd didn't work

Had to go into to start and run the command prompt as admin.

Back