• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista Memory Checker Any Good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richie13

Hi folks,

I downloaded a memory checker called, Memtest86 version 3.2. Although my new build, which is in my sig, and is working flawlessly and rock solid stable OC'd to 320 FSB, I thought I'd give the memory a good workout just to see if any issues come up. Since I was unable to figure out how the heck to make a bootable CD to use Memtest86, I decided to simply use the Vista memory checker utility. Vista reported everything was perfect, and I ran the test twice, but would anyone know how robust the Vista memory checker actually is? If you don't think it's good, perhaps someone can explain how to make a CD bootable for the Memtest86 utility. I decided not to install a floppy drive on this computer, so a DVD/CD burner is all I have. Thanks.

Richie

Memtest86 that you downloaded is in image form. You would need a program like aclohol 120, nero or any other one that burns image.

Once you have the memtest86.iso burned to a disk make sure to set your boot sequence to CDROM 1st in the BIOS as well, or it will just bypass and load to windows

I have the memtest86.ISO image burned to disc. Even though I have my BIOS set to boot from disc first, it still boots to the OS. I guess until I can figure out how to make this CD bootable, I won't be able to try out memtest86.

Richie

You should have it right.... did you burn the single ISO file to the disk? Or burn all the files to the disk? (Check in windows)

Only reason I ask is that I've done this a couple of times. Doesn't boot too well with just the one ISO file on the CD! :santa:

i hear windows based memory checking programs are not as good as memtest 86+ because windows is using some of the memory that you are trying to test!

Also if you are still booting to windows...under boot sequence don't have HDD as a choice, and select (don't search) for other bootable devices.

memtest found errors and locked up with my ballistix, vista memtest pre boot found none. nuff said. :)

Back