• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6600 + P5B Deluxe + G.SKILL or Team ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TigerLord

Registered
I'm getting an E6600 with a P5B Deluxe. I plan to OC on air with an Ultra-120 and a Panaflo.

I'm not sure what ram to get though...

G.SKILL F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

or

Team Xtreem PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-10 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit 2.0-2.2V

Afaik they're both Micron D9, so they're boot good, and on NCIX about same price. I'd like to hit at least 3.4ghz on air, anybody can help me choose?

As you can see from my sig I have the HZ and am very happy with them.

Out of the two you listed what ever has the best price, you cant go to far wrong with them.

But with a E6600 you should be looking at a 24/7 speed of 3.6ghz and running your ram at 1:1 = 800mhz so any good pc2-6400 ram will do, so no need for high end ram imo.
This would be a far better buy

But if you must HZ gets my vote

Last edited:
I'm using the G.Skill with the E6600/P5B Deluxe and have had no problems. I know this is trivial but the GSkill is Much more attractive in person then the pictures. Polished Bluish-Teal gunmetal is what it looks like.

I've managed to get Dark Messiah, HL2, GRAW, BF2142 and Company of Heroes working with Vista home prem and the RAM has performed very well with these but I havent OC'ed yet as I'm still waiting on cooling.

Oddly enough, I just ordered a P5B Deluxe and an e6600 from newegg yesterday. Scheduled to be delivered today. I'm hoping I get a good chip that can top my current e6300. If it doesn't do what I want, I'll also have the thee more e6300 I ordered to cherry pick from. :)

dfonda: where in PA are you?

I can tell you that pretty well ANY RAM will probably do you fine with the E6600. On air, you genererally won't see more than around 3.6Ghz. With an E6600, this is DDR2-800 speeds....so any cheapo RAM would work fine.

But really, if you want to spend extra on the RAM, either of those would be good. My Team's will to 500Mhz at 4-4-4-12. But G.skill HZ's have the same chips in them, so they can usually do quite well also.

dfonda said:
Thanks Jive(Hope the VMare is working out for you):beer:
Yeah I'll go with G-skil my other stuff just arrived and I want to put it together this weekend.

yeah, it seems to be plugging along pretty well. It's dogging my system pretty good....but since this PPD boost will probably only be temporary (from things I've read) I'll stick with it to get the beginning boost I need :) I'm getting about 2100 PPD with the WU I'm doing right now (still my first one because I had to restart it. :()

Thanks for the info! :)

I'll choose the Ballistix, that's not in your list, if you ask me :) DDR2 800 but ofc if you have no-limit budget, you should get a Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1000 ;)

heliu5 said:
I'll choose the Ballistix, that's not in your list, if you ask me :) DDR2 800 but ofc if you have no-limit budget, you should get a Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1000 ;)

Funny thing is that besides the RAM Deanzo recommended in his first post, all the RAM recommended and talked about is using the SAME IC's. I suppose those Ballistix DDR2-1000's might be D9GKX....but still we are all still pretty much talking about the same thing...I'd just find the cheapest ones and go with that. Besides...like I said...on air with an E6600, you probably aren't going to go past DDR2-800 anyway.

Back