• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Badaxe 2 RAID Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dem1an

I just bought another 300GB Hard drive tonight and then just had a gut reflex that maybe what I am trying to do is not possible with the BX2.

I was thinking I would run a solo raptor and then a mirrored set of 2 slower 300GB DiamondMax 10 drives on another channel.

Will this work?

or possibly runing 2xraptors raid 0 and 2xmaxtors raid 1?

I just assumed you could run two independent channels.

I did a little more reading and there are 2 RAID controllers, an Intel and a Marvell - 8 SATA connections. Do all the drives have to match on each controller or can you mix it up?

...could you do a raid 5 and single, a raid 0 and raid 1, two raid 0s, etc?

Last edited:
I think the Marvell controller is only capable of RAID 0 and 1, but the ICH7R controller can do RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10 ...

I'm not sure if you can do RAID 0 and RAID 1 on just the ICH7R, but it won't hurt to try...

does anyone know for sure how the intel raid controller works? can you mix raid types and drives on the same controller?

Never seen on ICH7R though, but for ICH8R yes, check the Matrix sticky thread, few have done that with two physical raid volumes (not matrix raid) under Intel Matrix.

Don't use that Marvell if possible, Intel ICHxR will eat it alive.

Mixing drives is ok as long you aware that the faster drive will be dragged by the slower drive, again different size also will be a headache since there will be a wasted from leftover space.

yea i know slower drives in the same volume group would slow it down...but i meant 2 volume groups on the intel controller. what i will probably want to do is a single raptor and then a raid 5 with slower 7200 maxtors for my data and backups of the raptor. i'm hoping hte second volume group will not slow down the solitary raptor.

Back