• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD ROM Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

I bought my sister a DVD-ROM drive and it says it needs a codec so i downloaded Defilerpak and im wonder is does my sister need a new video card> she has a 4MB video card.

Sounds confusing, but I'm assuming you purchased a dvd drive and you're attempting to play a dvd with it? You need a program like PowerDVD or WinDVD or pay for a windows media player codec. Best free alternative I know of is to play DVD's with VLC Player.

Also- a video card has little to do with DVD playback, the 4mb video card will be fine.

wow that solved the problem can you send me the link to buy the dvd codec of media player

I think you can buy a stand-alone DVD codec, but I would just buy PowerDVD or WinDVD to get the codec. Then you can play it with that app or in WMP.

smokie mcpott said:
i use VLC.... why buy a codec? use free apps

QFT. I would just use VLC. Only reason to pay for a DVD app is if could really use some of its features, or really needed it to play in WMP.

Media Player Classic is also free (and plays all kinds of stuff besides DVD's). Works with defilerpack, basic ffdshow, real/quicktime alternative, k-lite codec pack, cccp, whatever.

VLC is great as well though.

quick edit: People actually buy dvd codecs? :confused:

Back