• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista won't open mpg on internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

Whenever i click on a movie on the net with an .mpg extension, windows opens a new IE window and simply displays "internet explorer cannot display this page"

if i click on a link with a .wmv extension, it opens up media player just like it should and it plays the clip. The file assocation for .wmv and .mpg are both set to windows media player.

I can right click on the .mpg file and download it, and play it just fine, it just won't launch from IE

Anybody familiar with whats goin on here? because i can't seem to change it

Perhaps do a search for Vista codecs. If they don't work look into security settings and permissions.

I'll search vista codecs tonight. The security settings are all at default. I know when i first installed vista, this didn't happen, but i don't remember when or what changed to effect it.

I had a similar issue yesterday and this fixed it, click Start > Default Programs, in the window that pops up click on the bottom option in the main window "Set program access and computer defaults", in the window that pops up check the option "Microsoft Windows" and click "OK", that may solve the issue.

Yup, that fixed it! You know, i played around in that menu too, and it was set to "custom" and when found that windows media player was the default media player, i was satisfied with that. Guess windows wasn't LOL

Thank you!

wow, d. chatten you are a star !! :beer: i had that prob for ages and searched all kinds of forums with no success , tried what you said and works fine now .. thanks :clap:

Back