• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyperthreading disabled after XP SP2 install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snozzy

I've recently realised that hyperthreading has been disabled on my system since my last format.

I'm running XP SP2 together with a P4 Prescott 2.8 1MB.

I've copied ntlkrnlmp.exe and halmacpi.dll from my \Windows\ServicePackFiles directory to \Windows\System32.

Here's my edited boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe /hal=halmacpi.dll

System fails to boot. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Is hyperthreading enabled in the bios? did you clear the bios before reinstalling windows?

The BIOS is showing that hyperthreading is enabled but I'm not sure if it was enabled before the Windows install. I know that I installed the chipset driver after SP2 and I'm under the impression that under these circumstances, Windows defaults to a single processor. Another format would cure the problem but I don't relish going through that again.

Steve.

I'm just curious as to how you know HT is disabled. Under CPU Usage History --> 'Performance' tab of Task manager, is only a single core showing up? In Device Manager under 'Computer', which HAL was installed? Listing your computer's specs might also be helpful.

Back