• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

Hey guys i bought a DVD and wanted to play it on my PC which they problem is the stupid DVD-ROM Drive is loud so i want to burn it to my hard drive. can i do this with a DVD-ROM or do i need the DVD-RW Drive?

can i do this with a DVD-ROM or do i need the DVD-RW Drive?
A regular DVD drive is fine. Think about it, you're not writing anything from the DVD, you're reading the data off of it. Do you need a CD-RW to install games?

Anyway, what are you asking for, exactly?
Do you want to make a DVD image and run it of a virtual drive?
Or do you want to rip it to xvid or something?

If you want to rip to xvid, you'll need requires DVD Decrypter (as mentioned - go google it) and some encoding tools. AutoGK makes the encoding relativity straightforward - look up guides on doom9 and it's forums.

Creating an image requires software that can make a dvd image, like Alcohol 120 or other burning utilities (Alcohol also has other versions where burning images is disabled, you will want that if you don't plan on copying the disk) - you will have to pay to get these (I don't recall any free image makers).
Another method (not really making a DVD image, though) is to use DVD Decrypter again, and simply rip the video files to your hard drive, then use VLC to open and play it. Again, go to doom9 and look up how to use it.

you can use DVDShrink to make an ISO image of the DVD and VLC will play that as well....in fact VLC will play just about ANY image file, as well as vob folders

i got it working the thing is 6GB is a little too big lol. I need a good AVI converter so its at least 700MB.

whats a good average size for a DVD image to AVI. Will i lose alot of quality if i took it to a 1.5 GB size?

Ripping only the movie at 1.4gb (Xvid + AC3) should look good. Even at 700mb I'm sure most movies will look fine. Just rip a couple and see what you like. Note that ripping the audio at stereo (instead of AC3/5.1) will make the video look better.

Just FYI if you've never done a DVD rip. The process will max the cpu for 1-3 hours. It's a fairly intense process. Finished product should be a simple/small AVI file.

WeezleXX89 said:
Hey guys i bought a DVD and wanted to play it on my PC which they problem is the stupid DVD-ROM Drive is loud so i want to burn it to my hard drive.
Meaning unknown.

Best guess: You wish to burn your loud DVD-ROM drive to your hard drive.

Is this correct?

Back