• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vB Code Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
For those of you who are new to the forums (or maybe not so new), I thought that I would provide a list of some of the more common vBulletin codes that are useful when posting on OCForums.

Here is a full listing of codes:
http://www.ocforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

There are several threads posted in the Guidelines section that detail what makes a good post, but none offer any advice on how to really make your posts stand out. I hope this helps in that area.

I think most of you will find the codes I have provided to be easily recognizable, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple in here that most of you never knew existed. At any rate, I hope this little quick reference helps some of you out!

All vBulletin codes are placed within brackets ( [] ) and begin prior to the text having the format applied. Likewise, the code is ended by placing brackets at the end with a close indicator ( [/] ).

For example:

Some text [command]here[/command]. "here" would have the vB code command applied to it.

The most useful codes will be listed below showing the proper syntax, as well as an example output that they give. I know the Advanced Post box does most of this for you already, but maybe some of you will actually learn how this works (and it doesn't include all of these codes either).

Bold

Syntax:
[b][/b]​
Usage:
I love typing in[b]bold[/b] letters!​
Output:
I love typing in bold letters!​

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Italics

Syntax:
[i][/i]​
Usage:
I like [i]italics[/i] too!​
Output:
I like italics too!​

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Underline

Syntax:
[u][/u]​
Usage:
I use [u]underlining[/u] to emphasize a word.​
Output:
I use underlining to emphasize a word.​

Strike Through

Syntax:
[s][/s]​
Usage:
[s]This text has strike through applied[/s][/indent].
Output:
This text has strike through applied.​

Size.

Syntax:
[size=1-10][/size]​
Usage:
[size=1]Size 1[/size] [size=2]Size 2[/size] [size=3]Size 3[/size]​
Output:
Size 1 Size 2 Size 3

Color

Syntax:
[color='text color' or 'HTML color code'][/color]​
Usage 1:
This is the color [color=red]red[/color]​
Output 1:
This is the color red.​
Usage 2:
This is a shade of [color=#66CC00]green[/color].​
Output 2:
This is a shade of green.​

Fonts

Syntax:
[font=font name][/font]​
Usage:
This is the [font=courier]Courier[/font] font.​
Output:
This the Courier font.​

SuperScript.

Syntax:
[sup][/sup]​
Usage:
This is [sup]superscript[/sup].​
Output:
This is superscript.​

SubScript.

Syntax:
[sub][/sub]​
Usage:
This is [sub]subscript[/sub].​
Output:
This is subscript.​

Right, left, and centered text.

Syntax:
[left][/left] [center][/center][right][/right]​
Usage:
[left]Left[/left] [center]Center[/center] [right]Right[/right]​
Output:
Left​
Center​
Right​

URLs and HyperLinking.

Syntax:
[url='Web address'][/url]​
Usage:
[url=http://ocforums.com]Visit OCForums![/url]​
Output:

Lists.

Syntax:
[list][*][/list][/indent]
Usage: [indent][noparse][list][/indent]
[*]1st list item
[*]2nd list item
[*]etc.
[/list]
Output
  • 1st list item
  • 2nd list item
  • etc.

**Note**:
Doing a [list=1] or a [list=A] will cause the '*' to create numberic or alphabetic ordered lists, respectively.​

Images.

Syntax:
[img]Image address[/img]​
Usage:
[img]http://www.ocforums.com/oc_images/logo2.gif[/img]​
Output:
logo2.gif

**Note**:
To make an image link, do this : [url='Web address'][img]'Image address'[/img][/url]​

Code Boxes.

Syntax:
[code][/code]​
Usage:
[code]This text is in a code box[/code]​
Output:
Code:
This text is in a code box

Quote Boxes.

Syntax:
[quote='Source'][/quote]​
Usage:
[quote=Isaac Asimov]I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.[/quote]​
Output:
Isaac Asimov said:
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.

Want to know how I showed the actual vB commands without parsing? Easy...

Syntax:
[noparse][command][/command][/noparse]​
Usage:
[noparse][code][/code][/noparse]​
Output:
[code][/code]​

Also keep in mind that almost any combination of these codes can be used together by embedding them inside one another (I did it throughout this document...you just can't see most of it). For instance, making text bold, italicized, and underlined - all at the same time (i.e. [b][i][u]text[/u][/i][/b] will look like text).

This list is nowhere near a complete collection or all-inclusive. I will add others as I feel necessary and/or useful to you. Have fun with them and if you have any questions regarding any of them, just let me know!

Jon​

Last edited by a moderator:
Back