• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory, FSB, and dividers .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishD

Hi all.
im OC'ing my rig, and trying to understand the process of speeds.

Ive got 2 sticks of Mushkin ram PC3200 (=200Mhz). My default board speed is HTT=200 default (x11=2200Mz). I upped my HTT to 220, and i applied a devider 2:1.83, which gave me a DDR Speed of 201MHz. I upped the voltage significantly (from 1.325 to 1.45), but the system was unstable. So i dropped the DDR speed back, with the 2:1.66 multiplier, and whole thing is stable again, even at lower voltage.

So the question. Why would the DDR be stable at 200 in one FSB configuration, while unstable in another. The logic tells me that they should be independent.
Stablity is
HTT=200, DDR =200 or maybe greater.
HTT=220, DDR is somewhere between 182 and 200,
So by implication the faster i run the FSB, the lower i must make my DDR speed.?

Would it be that ram does not like Frequency deviders?

What's your HT multiplier set at? Should drop it down to 4x when you're starting to overclock, then eventually drop it to 3x.

To verify if memory is the problem with stability boot into memtest86. If you can do a full loop then the memory is stable. Also check your timings- if they are auto you may want to change them to a manual setting so you know they aren't changing when you up the HTT.

Bios24 said:
What's your HT multiplier set at? Should drop it down to 4x when you're starting to overclock, then eventually drop it to 3x.

To verify if memory is the problem with stability boot into memtest86. If you can do a full loop then the memory is stable. Also check your timings- if they are auto you may want to change them to a manual setting so you know they aren't changing when you up the HTT.

Thanks,
The HT is 4x by default. Thought this is good up to 250HTT.

Yes, memory is in default, but also tried it in manual, loosened by one step, every parameter. I have also run memtest on the ram at stock (auto settings, 200mHZ), overnight and everything checked out.

Back