• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2gig ddr kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilneel12

I have been reading reviews on 2gig ddr kits and am not getting a bit confused on what kit i should get.

A8n32-sli board
165 opteron at 300mhz X 9 multi

Im running this right now with my gksill 4400le tccd kit at 300mhz and I want to get a 2gig kit that can do the same.

my options

Crucial ballistix pc4000
Gskill HZ series pc4000
Muskin Redline XP pc4000

my current choice is the ballistix, but am still not sure if that will reach 300mhz over the other two.

also, anyone know or have a pair of ballistix that does 300mhz, cause i want to know the exact model and revision to search for.
-i am about to get a pair from a person, but want to make sure the model is correct for micron.

any help is appreciated
thanks

I'm running w/ the same board and 2x1GB sticks of the Crucial Ballistix PC4000 listed at Newegg here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148018

I currently have it running at 302 MHz 1:1, 3.0-4-4-8 2T. I had the same dilemma as yourself, in that i had 2x512MB sticks of TCCD 4400LE installed... but then decided I needed 2GB in order to run Vista.

Attachments

• CPU-Z.JPG
    CPU-Z.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 31
  • CPU-Z Memory.JPG
    CPU-Z Memory.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 32
can you please tell me the model and batch number of your sticks
thanks

redduc... is that memtest stable? I have the ballistix as well.. mine top out at around 285Mhz @1T memtest stable, and I can work in windows and gane, and everythnig else with the RAM at 300Mhz @ 2T, but it fails orthos and memtest.. I've come to realize that running my 2GB set at 272Mhz @ 1T provides more bandwidth than running at 300Mhz @ 2T, but still DDR600 is nice to show off :D... Could you pm the settings you are using redduc? As to the OP, I would recommend the Ballistix.. They have really cool LED lights lol. These are the sticks I have (i bought them off here in the classies):

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4898988&postcount=4

I never tried T2 so maybe my 4400Pro's could of done 300mhz with T2 and 3.0v.I never wanted to risk burning them up .But anyway [email protected] and using the 180 divider puts my ram at 275mhz and my bandwidth is over 8300mb in Everest Ultimate Edition .Why did i write this it offers no info on what the orignal poster asked...lol

Oh yeah i could never get my PC stable with my ram over 282mhz.

I was reading some where that Crucials Ballstix DDR2 Module's use a PLL as part of the module to help in OCing.I was wondering if the DDR1 has the same thing?And if so were these the cause of the SDS syndrome that the Crucial Ballstix were famous for

Last edited:
These are the settings I'm using at the moment (they change quite often as I'm always tweaking something)...

These settings are Memtest stable, but haven't tested for stability w/ Orthos yet. I've run the RAM using the 166 and 183 dividers and 1T (166 using a HTT of 334, and mult. of 9), and as you mentioned the bandwidth is somewhat higher in Sandra / Everest... but I've been in the process of finding the highest clock it will run at 2T. In addition the system doesn't seem to favor using a divider, but rather running 1:1.

Also the high HTT is somewhat problematic in that I normally run into a warm reboot issue, whereas it just doesn't want to POST sometimes... I'm still trying to find out what's going on there, as I think RAM timing is playing a role. So a divider isn't out of the question for me, but I just need to tweak the timings some more to figure out where the problem lies. I should also mention that Vcore is set to 1.2625 +.2 in the BIOS, so in Windows it's between aprox. 1.47 and 1.49v

Attachments

• A64.JPG
    A64.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
after seeing all the stability and realiablity issues with this ram, i decided to go for the
Team group extreme cronus micron based pc4000
i'll post results once get the sticks

Back