• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

800 vs 667

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamie_bkc

I know obviously the 800 will be faster, but I'm building an e6300 setup on a budget and was wondering if the price difference was worth the increase in performance?

If you plan to overclock, you'll definitely want DDR2-800. Besides, it's not that much more expensive.

I've got an E6300 on some 667@800MHz and I can honestly say that is all that's holding me back. This chip would be good for well over 3GHz. 2.8GHz is nice, but 3.2+ would always be better.

Spend the extra few bucks. I may visit Fry's today myself.

I agree with jon. Although i'm getting 2.9 it's holding me back. I was able to boot at 3.0 -3.15 but was very unstable. So you should get the 800

I managed to borrow some 800mhz ram and now i'm good at 3.1ghz.

Basically it depends on how much you want to oc.

well, not all ddr2-667 is created equal.

mine runs ddr2-1200 speeds just fine.

How about for an X2 3800? I don't necessarily plan to overclock the machine much (once I finally order the parts to upgrade my current pc). The motherboard I'm planning to get uses ddr2 800, so for a guy like me who doesn't plan on overclocking too much, should I get the 800 or 667?

Mixednutt said:
How about for an X2 3800? I don't necessarily plan to overclock the machine much (once I finally order the parts to upgrade my current pc). The motherboard I'm planning to get uses ddr2 800, so for a guy like me who doesn't plan on overclocking too much, should I get the 800 or 667?

just go w/ the 800 coz one the price difference isnt that much and two if you oc your rig you can go higher. and get a set that has D9 chips on it. its easier to oc that way.:beer:

Back