• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opera's not working... ff and ie are though

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TDubbs05

Well plain and simple, opera (the browser) just stopped working. I don't remember doing anything different but it won't work period. I've uninstalled it, making sure to get all the application data etc, reinstalled it, upgraded to opera 9.20 beta and it's still not working. firefox and ie work perfectly so wat gives? i'm sick of using ff and want opera back. (you never realized how much better opera is until you start noticing the details.)

Help anyone?

sry bout that. what i mean by not working is that i won't load anything. i agree...screw ie and FF is way too stripped down...

I would try uninstalling opera and then deleting all the registry entries it made, and then going into your program files and manually deleting any files it left behind. Then reinstall it.

Just out of curiosity, in what way is FF "stripped down"?

yeah i manually deleted all the application data etc and ran ccleaner after just to make sure. hopefully that got the reg files but i think i'll go ahead and uninstall it and make sure the reg files get deleted.

few annoying things about going to FF from opera...
1)have to reset some of the mouse gestures to be the same
2)duplicate tab option doesn't allow you to go "back" on a webpage like opera does
3)personally i like opera downloads interface better but no biggie (seems like w/ FF if you want it do do something like opera does you have to manually set it)
4)its kind of a pain to get it to restore a session. whenever i close FF, it asks me if i want to close the tabs and i sure as hell don't...so end up having to "end task" FF to allow me to get the option to restore my session.

few small things that aren't very big, but they prove to be a real annoyance when you're used to such an elite browser like opera...

well i went through an uninstalled opera, delete every file i could find related to it (reg, application data, prog files...everything) and it's still not loading anything...

looks like it's off to the opera forums for me...wow this is ghetto...

You keep on using the term "loading". Are you referring to displaying web pages?? Any URL that you type in doesn't display that page?
If so, sounds as it would be some network connection settings. Do you have a firewall?

I had that problem too. Opera would load, then QUIT on me. Just like that. I scanned for spyware and it found something but could not remove it. Eventually I had to use the WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE and that did the trick. Apparently it may have been due to installing flash player update or something. Tres annoying since FF and IE are good but nothing like opera.

yes by loading it mean it won't load any webpage. anything i type in will not work. so weird because firefox is working great but i want opera back. hmm maybe i'll try that system restore but sounds a little ify to me...

TDubbs05 said:
yes by loading it mean it won't load any webpage. anything i type in will not work. so weird because firefox is working great but i want opera back. hmm maybe i'll try that system restore but sounds a little ify to me...

Network settings wonky? Tools->Preferences->Advanced->Networking
Firewall blocking Opera?

nope firewall's off as it should be, network settings fine (both ie and ff working great)

geez this sux...

Back