• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System shuts down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

My buddy ofg mine has an issue with his PC it stats to shut down randomly and could this be a PSU probelm or Video problem. He looked into the problem in event view and syas its a kernal crash. How can we fix this?

Thanks to all,

It might help us to know what your buddy's system spec's are in it's entirety, including which OS he's running (also including any SP installed)... and also making note of the kernel related critical errors exactly as they appear in the Event Viewer logs. Also include PSU rails, CPU core temp. and voltage, OC'ing if any including VC OC, etc. As much info as possible would be helpful, as trying to diagnose an intermittent shutdown problem can be quite involved.

Last edited:
i really sont knwo his specs but he has a pentuim 3 with 512 PC133 RAM. Its a Delll The model number is L1000R. HE has the same video card as me with a 250-watt power supply.

Sounds like some tests are in order. :)

1. I'd start with checking to make sure the cpu fan is running.
2. Then maybe run memtest86 for a couple of hours to rule out the ram.
3. Then look at the power supply.

WeezleXX89 said:
it RAM goes bad, doesnt it fail meaning you cannot complete the POST?

Sometimes... those are the easy ones :)

More common problems with RAM happen after post, but before windows loads completely. Even sometimes after windows is loaded too... I had a troublesome infineon stick from a while back that would occasionally come up as a 128mb stick of ddr333, but was a 256mb stick to begin with.

~ Gos

Is this the thread containing the crash info of your friend?

At this point, I have little idea what you two are trying to fix - you guys have 5 threads or so by now, and only one that has actual error message in it. Do you guys have 5 differant problems that each warrent their own thread? Trying to help, but being frustrated by lack of information.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, especially if you two don't really know each other (then it's some :bang head,:rolleyes:,:-/,:shrug: time for me)

Back