• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my memory optimized?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris L

Hey guys,

I have 2 modules of CMX512-3200C2PT (bought separately) & a set of TWINX1024-3200C2PT = 4 Sticks and 2GB total RAM. I was wondering if the current configuration for my RAM is the best it can get to with my setup.

I am using an ASUS A8N-SLi Premium BIOS 1009 Rev 1.02 motherboard with a A64 3500+ 2.2 GHz @ 2.5 GHz. I'm looking to optimize the memory then oc the CPU a bit more (2700 MHz).

I have some links to pics from CPU-Z below.
CPU
Memory
SPD (Slot 1)
SPD (Slot 2)
SPD (Slot 3)
SPD (Slot 4)

Hope you can give advice,

- Chris :beer:

Well, looks like the best stock timing you're going to get is 3-3-3-8 at 200mhz. You could try overclocking them, then testing with memtest86. Just push the HT bus till you get errors. You may have to loosen the timings to get better clocks. Once you know the max the memory can run, then you have a better idea of what divider to use when overclocking the cpu.

Is that what you meant by 'optimzed'?

first thing i would suggest is raise your HT Link(called about 1 million diff things in diff BIOS's) from 3x (600) to 4x (800)

if your ram is already on a divider then just keep goin up with your CPU oc until you get around 200mhz (400 ddr) on your ram... theres not much you could do with 'optimizing' your ram...set the timings...use memtest and find some timings that work well

Bios24 said:
Well, looks like the best stock timing you're going to get is 3-3-3-8 at 200mhz. You could try overclocking them, then testing with memtest86. Just push the HT bus till you get errors. You may have to loosen the timings to get better clocks. Once you know the max the memory can run, then you have a better idea of what divider to use when overclocking the cpu.

Is that what you meant by 'optimzed'?

Yes it is :) but, sorry to be a newbie but when you say I will get a better idea of what divider to use if i loosen up the timings, what do you mean by divider?

smokie mcpott said:
first thing i would suggest is raise your HT Link(called about 1 million diff things in diff BIOS's) from 3x (600) to 4x (800)

if your ram is already on a divider then just keep goin up with your CPU oc until you get around 200mhz (400 ddr) on your ram... theres not much you could do with 'optimizing' your ram...set the timings...use memtest and find some timings that work well

Same again, please could you explain a bit more about dividers?

I will try setting the HT to 4x, and loosen up the timings. What exactly would I have to do in BIOS to bump up the speed?

Also, 2 x 1gb would be a better setup. 4 DIMMs will limit your OC somewhat as compared to 2 DIMMs.

Definitly read up on the AMD A64 stickies. They will help out a lot.

The 'divders' we're talking about are memory dividers. The divder will 'divide' the HT bus to run the memory at a lower speed. This helps you overclock by increasing the HT while keep the memory at stock speed. (200mhz or whatever is stable)

Believe it or not- you're running a divider right now. Look at Cpu-z, your bus speed is about 230mhz, but your memory is only running at 180mhz. If you were running 1:1 then your memory would be at 230mhz and might not be stable.

I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but there should be a setting in/around the memory settings. It may read '1/1' or '1:1' or even '200mhz'. Careful though if you are going to run with the HT bus at 230mhz, it may not boot or you may have memory errors. I'd boot to memtest86 and run a loop to make sure it's stable before trying to boot to windows. Windows does NOT like memory errors.

Back