• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant Activate Windows. Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mobitsfa

Hi,

like a dummy I partitioned my drive and reinstalled windows xp pro. I forgot to run keyfinder and get my key. I've since lost my windows xp pro key, so I used an old oem key that I had. I tried to activate, but wouldn't let me. And since it's oem I wasn't able to call and reactivate it.

My Q: Is there anywhere I can buy just a product key? Where i pay for it and maybe they email me a key right away? I just got a new setup and am dieing to try it out, but I can't.

If not i'll probably just order from newegg, but it'll take 2 days :( .

thanks,
mob

Just call up MS and activate it. They will ask a few questions, just tell them your are reinstalling and that is the only machine it is on. They will give you an activation code.

If it's a new system you can't reuse the oem key, so you probably have to buy a new one from the egg. You can try calling them and claiming it's an upgrade, maybe they'll let you upgrade. Worst they can say is you have to buy a new one.

As long as the motherboard doesnt change then you can re-install the OEM without issue. Just have to call MS up and give them the insanely long code. If you did change the board then be carefull what you say to them if they ask you why you re-installed.

I have reinstalled the OEM version of XP-Pro on 3 different motherboard. Just tell them that you aren't using your copy on another system and you should have no problems.

Ok i called and said I upgraded to a sata drive from an ide. Got it activated thanks.

bchur83 said:
Just call up MS and activate it. They will ask a few questions, just tell them your are reinstalling and that is the only machine it is on. They will give you an activation code.

But they can't give him an activation code if he doesn't even have the key to install it.

If you are not able to get that key anywhere, you will probably just have to buy it again.

He has an OEM key. If he didn't activation wouldn't have been the problem, installing windows would.

OEM cds dont ask for keys when installing =) @ least the stack of dell xp pro cds i have dont

||Console|| said:
OEM cds dont ask for keys when installing =) @ least the stack of dell xp pro cds i have dont

I have an OEM of XP Pro x64, and it did ask for the key for installing, but it didn't require me to activate Windows on line (which I had to do for XP Pro (32 bit, non-OEM)).

I lost the key of a xp pro version I bought. I have an old oem key that I found, so two different product keys. When I installed windows it asked me for a key. Right on the cd says oem version Not for resale.

Some discs from OEM manufacturers already have the CD Key on them, and it is automatically entered during setup. Also many of these also are preactivated. Not all OEM discs have the serial on them though. Dell is one that has it preactivated and the serial is on the disc.

Back