• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Commando overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greg1292

:beer: Drinks are on me! I am new to the forum and this is my first post.
I have read for about 3 weeks on the forum and have a few questions about my set up and safe overclocking.
e6600,crucial ddr10002g,commando,7950gtoc,zalman9700. When I OC to 400mhz I get 3.6 at ddr800 4-4-4-12-2t temps are processor 20c, mb 26c, but my vcore is 1.478 and memory is 2.3v not bad on my first attempt at this. Am I stressing these components to much and if so what settings do you recommend. :confused:
I am looking for settings that will give me the fastest operating speed and reliability.

Thanks

Last edited:
hi greg1
welcome:beer:
What temps are u getting on load.
temps are non issue 20c, mb 26c
seems low (cpu anyway)
I'm running 24/7 @385x9 :-
385x9@4-5_Orthos11hr.JPG

To run at 386 i have to up vcore again which would add to the temps, i'm happy atm with this it hits where i hoped to get on air. Think next upgrade is now unlikely 2 be vista but w/cooling:D
Can hit 400x9 quiet comfortably but heat is an issue load is 65C which i don't want 24/7.

luck:)

I haven't ran a load program yet. Which free one is recommened? The temps were while running HDdvd and Ghost recon at the same time for 2 hours while tweaking.. I have not messed with any of the settings in Bios other than.
manual
cpu 400mhz and temp is 20 degree celsius
mem 800ddr2
vcore 1.475
memv 2.3
4-4-4-12 timings
I am not quite sure of all those other settings in bios and what they are set at:confused: and what are the correct values for all?
There are so many adjustments to fine tune so all the other timings are auto. I am wanting to know what should be adjusted to properly clock the system and play with those recommendation for that is truley the only way to learn. Reading only allows so much data to be processed:bang head I understand the basics but want to learn the advanced method to play with all the adjustments.

Thanks for the welcome:beer:

Orthos - Small FFT test CPU - Blend tests both Cpu & memory.

OCCT Takes 30minutes to check out stability, is good to use when finding oc limits as it's quicker than orthos. BUse this to find limit back off then check longer with orthos.

use either of the above in comnjunction with TAT use this & asus pc probe to check your CPU temps when running the above. O air i prefer to stay around 60~63C as max temp though it's up 2 u.

see also Benchmark Tools
These are well used tools which u can either get from the Benchmarking tools link or google.:-
CPU-z
Super-Pi
CoreTemp
PCWizard
Sisoft Sandra
PCMark06

Re overclocking I'd try 1:1 with auto memory timings & auto voltages (except memory use 2.0~2.2v) while u find your ceiling (CPU temps will be the resticting factor most likely) Once u have that u can think about optimising memory speed. 9x400 is a favourite as 800 memory is optimised & 4:5 strap can be used to run memory @1000. I can run fine with that but my rig is 2 hot.

Hope that helps get u going
luck & happy ocing.

What are the settings for the 4-5 strap is that setting the memory to ddr1000 and having Is those the settings above this post? I ran orthos and am running 1.54 v core and that seems to high is there a trick to lower it and keep the clock speeds up? OC 3.6 runs at these settings and load on core temp was 50c but voltage seems to high for this clock speed.

the timings at 4-4-4-12 and 9X400 3.6 and orthox ran fine but when I went to 4:5 settings it showed error at 2 minutes in at 9X385. I did like the lower Vcore voltage but wasn't stable!

Thanks for the info and is it better to use mem3.1?

Last edited:
I also want to add that I bought pc8000 ram from NewEgg but in cpuz it says PC6400. :eek: Is that a Bios issue and I also get the double boot menu for XP64 when I start the system.

Thanks

It depends what Ram ratio is set in Bios see dram frequency. Just below fsb.
so if running 9x400 = 3600

1:1 = 400 x2 = 800 = pc6400
4:5 = 400/4*5 x2 = 1000 PC8000

If you use auto for vcore you can check the Cpu voltage that shows in pcprobe & put that into bios, you geerally can get away with that in orthos stability & it will drop around 3C from load temps.

I also get the double boot menu for XP64 when I start the system.
If you have 2 oses thats ok if not go into System properties Start Up & Recovery - Select Edit & delete the option line.

luck:)

I set to the 4:5 setting and in CPUZ it still say's PC6400. Did the package the wrong memory even though the bags on the memory say PC8000?
I have a pretty good grasp on how all the other settings work know thanks to your knowledge:santa:

The cpu probe works great and now I have my voltage set at 1.45vcore and 2.19mem 3.60 4-4-4-12 at ddr800 temps on load are 47c CPU and peaked at 57C that was using Orthos only 20 minutes. I am still trying to get comfortable with all these buttons to play with. How long should it run for a successful overclock?

I am going to buy MEM3.1 and was wondering if this program allows to tune the memory or give me info I can use for setup of the system?

The boot up tip was very useful as well so now it is down to the memory issue and I will try to start bench marking to see if I did this right.

Still chugging along:beer: Thanks

greg1292 said:
I set to the 4:5 setting and in CPUZ it still say's PC6400. Did the package the wrong memory even though the bags on the memory say PC8000?
Are you sure your not looking at the SPD settings page?

greg1292 said:
Great call that is exactley where I was looking. What does that mean?
The SPD settings get read by the motherboard and are used to determine how memory timmings should be set when you are using the 'auto' settings.

Been messing with this board for about 2 weeks now, here's my latest results.

Attachments

• Image4a.jpg
    Image4a.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I have been playing around with the following settings and seem to be stable with this:

3500X7 MHZ CPU 23C IDLE MB 35C IDLE
4-4-4-4-12 2T
500.O MHZ
2000 FSB
VCORE 1.44
DDR2 2.22V

Is there any performance issues with these settings and am going to run my first ORTHOS test. Am I stressing the board to much for everyday use:confused:

This commando board is alot of fun to play with and are there some threads you suggest to further my learning curve:)

Sorry I didn't know you posted I must have ESP? Cool that you posted what I was just typing.

Back