• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Gold PC7200? Buffalo Firestix? Or...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

It's that time again...upgrade time! :D

(well, soon anyways, but I always obsessively research first, I can't help it.)

I'm working on deciding on what ram I want to use in my upcoming revision of my gaming pc, "Cyborgmind." Most of the parts that can be seen in my sig I'll be re-using, however I'm going to be swapping the cpu/ram/mobo. I've already decided on an Abit QuadGT, and either a e6600 or Xeon 3060. I'm eyeing two sets of memory at the moment, although I'm always open to suggestions. I'm looking for a 2x1gb set, with an approximate budget of $200 or so (less is of course, preferable.)

One is particular is this set, OCZ Gold PC7200. I haven't found much about them yet though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227153

I've also had my eyes on these Firestix from Buffalo. They're out of stock pretty much everywhere, but seeing as how I am still just researching, this doesn't really matter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820150054

So long as I can set aside the cash, I plan on finally trying out watercooling. My minimum OC goal is 3.6ghz, however with a good cooling setup, I'd like to go higher (so long as I get lucky with a decent cpu, that is.) So, I want ram that will run at the bare minimum, 400mhz 1:1, with the 450mhz speed of the OCZ PC7200 probably being overkill. However- I absolutely do not want to be held back by ram speeds. (or temps, which is why I am wanting to finally try WC'ing, but that is off topic here.)

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

rattle told me to go with the firestix ordered them from newegg should be instock again, just ordered mine like 10 minutes ago. reviews in newegg show ppl getting insane clock speeds so i couldnt resist the coupon code didnt work no more for it but i still got them

from talking to buffalo techs they assured me the D9GHM's would keep rolling out for the 800's mine do 1100 on stock volts (2,1v) cas 5 completley stable andi havnt even topped them out yet.

thats a pretty crazy price on the ocz though, not sure if they would do same better or worse.

redrumy3 said:
rattle told me to go with the firestix ordered them from newegg should be instock again, just ordered mine like 10 minutes ago. reviews in newegg show ppl getting insane clock speeds so i couldnt resist the coupon code didnt work no more for it but i still got them

you ordered the firestix today? *damn* missed em come into stock..

Im not so shure of the firestix these days. I bought a pair the other day (the egg) and they suxor. To post at rated speed (800) my timmings are 5-7-7-24 2t at 2.3 volts that is crap and tells me the last thing these have on them is D9. So I know that this guy said this and that guy talked to the rep and he said bla bla bla and he posted it up on a forum so its writen by the hand of god and all. But I will be the first to tell you its Bull S*** . These sticks are shipping with non D9 ic's. Dont know how many but some are.

And on a further note I would like it to be known that I have the worst god damn luck with mem. If it was ever a good deal, its crap when I fork over my hard earned money.... Nuf said ....Im done venting

JustChill, if your ram cannot do its rated speeds at its rated timings then it is defective, and you need to return them to newegg or Buffalo. Those sticks are rated to do 5-5-5 timings at DDRII800 with 2.1V, and this is obviously not happening for you which means you should RMA them,

JustChill said:
Im not so shure of the firestix these days. I bought a pair the other day (the egg) and they suxor. To post at rated speed (800) my timmings are 5-7-7-24 2t at 2.3 volts that is crap and tells me the last thing these have on them is D9. So I know that this guy said this and that guy talked to the rep and he said bla bla bla and he posted it up on a forum so its writen by the hand of god and all. But I will be the first to tell you its Bull S*** . These sticks are shipping with non D9 ic's. Dont know how many but some are.

And on a further note I would like it to be known that I have the worst god damn luck with mem. If it was ever a good deal, its crap when I fork over my hard earned money.... Nuf said ....Im done venting

hopefully u got a bad pair cause so far lots of ppl are getting very nice results with these, i swear i have no luck neither watch me get them and they dont do crap im going to be mad =[

JustChill said:

if your sticks wont do 800mhz at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 they are broken lmao D9 or not hand of god or whatever.... :rolleyes: also no offense but i wouldnt take one of those 680i evga's for free and put free ram in them, they are known to kill ram.

ya I hear ya rattle. Prob is I went through to many intel chiped boards that were ficher price type crap. I have this nice e6600 sittin there and nothin but junk for MB's. So I RMA'd everything and pulled the trigger on 680i (not before much deliberation, frusration, and reconsideration:confused: ) and as for the ram they have acted this way from the day I installed them. RMA I will (once again)

i dunno man even if they were elpida or promos they would still do better ya know? like 800 at the very least with 4-4-4-12 timings, that tells me something is wrong.

I never cared much for the nvidia intel mobos, i recently got one and it was gone within 48 hours.

I hope you get it figured out, i would recommend going 965 or 975 intel and selling the 7800gt's get a single card like 8800 gts 640 or 8800gtx.

I seen to many horror stories, my 6600 and firestix do 3300 and 1100 on stock volts in a p5b orthos stable and I couldnt even get it to post on stock volts on the p5n32-e sli plus I just had and it was only super PI stable with added volts after 8 hours of tweaking and bios flashes...

I agree with Rattle, those sticks are definitely faulty.

In terms of my original question, I guess no one really knows enough about those OCZ sticks to make a decent comparison. I'm leaning towards giving them a try so long as the price stays low, so we'll see.

Back