• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD/DVD driver is required

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogelah

Registered
I am trying to install Vista 64; it is a clean install (OEM). The mobo is ASUS P5B D, the disks (nothing on them) are set in a RAID 5 array on the ICH8R controller. The SATA CD/DVD is on the Jmicron controller as IDE.

The Vista install disk is booted and the first screen (language, time and kb) appears; I click next and get the Install now screen. I click Install now but instead of getting the screen asking for the product key (or the click if you agree; I can't remember which comes next) I get a prompt telling me that I need to load a CD/DVD driver.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you fix it?

TIA

Their must be something wrong because windows is already able to use the cd drive, I think the setup mean the drivers that are on teh cd/dvd for your raid.

bchur83 said:
Yes, it is asking for the driver for your Raid5 Array. Insert the Raid Driver Disc.
It is not asking for the RAID driver; it is specifically asking for a CD/DVD driver. I thought it was asking for the RAID driver and unchecked the box that hides drivers not related and selected the RAID driver. It came back with the request for CD/DVD driver.

I searched for the message and found a reference to a Microsoft known problem which is supposedly Vista 64 based having to do with CD/DVDs. The fixes (from parties outside of Microsoft) had to do with making IDE CD/DVDs the slave rather than the primary.

I have only one CD/DVD drive and it is connected to the SATA_RAID on my ASUS P5B board. I don't know how you would make it the slave?

rogelah said:
It is not asking for the RAID driver; it is specifically asking for a CD/DVD driver. I thought it was asking for the RAID driver and unchecked the box that hides drivers not related and selected the RAID driver. It came back with the request for CD/DVD driver.

I searched for the message and found a reference to a Microsoft known problem which is supposedly Vista 64 based having to do with CD/DVDs. The fixes (from parties outside of Microsoft) had to do with making IDE CD/DVDs the slave rather than the primary.

I have only one CD/DVD drive and it is connected to the SATA_RAID on my ASUS P5B board. I don't know how you would make it the slave?
You can't afaik, your best bet is getting a cd drive from another computer orgetting a cheap one online.

Avg said:
You can't afaik, your best bet is getting a cd drive from another computer orgetting a cheap one online.
I tried ASUS Support and the first guy said it was above his head and passed me to a second guy who was supposed to know more. The second guy asked me for a ticket # and when I said I hadn't been given one he hung up on me. So much for ASUS support.

I opted for an external USB CD/DVD. I can set it up as boot priority 1 and be done with the other Mickey Mouse problem which Microsoft says to wait for SP! to be released.

Now I have a 3.5" floppy and a CD/DVD I can connect to a USB port.

I also have an XP Pro install disk. I'll try that too.

Booted the XP Pro install disk. Used F6 to install the ICH8R driver and it then formatted the RAID5 disks. Then it asked me for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Device Driver. I thought that's what I loaded at F6. So, I told it to look on the floppy again. It said NO.

Any ideas as to what I should be "feeding" it?

Since you have the JMicron controller enabled, and XP obviously doesn't have native support... you would probably need to download the controller drivers from Asus...

JMicron JMB36X RAID Controller Driver v1.12.07.00 for Windows 2000/XP(WHQL)/2003 & 64bit XP(WHQL)/2003.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

RAID_NonIDE_JMicron_JMB36X11781_Vista.zip
JMicron JMB36X RAID Controller Driver V1.17.8.1 for Windows 32bit/64bit Vista.(WHQL)

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

... or this one for Vista:

RAID_JMicronJMB36X11764_Vista.zip
JMicron JMB36X RAID Controller Driver V1.17.6.4 for Windows 32bit/64bit Vista.(WHQL).
JMicron JMB36X PATA Driver V1.0.0.0 for Windows 32bit/64bit Vista.(Non-WHQL).

... and extract the drivers to a floppy to be used during Setup.

rogelah said:
Booted the XP Pro install disk. Used F6 to install the ICH8R driver and it then formatted the RAID5 disks. Then it asked me for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Device Driver. I thought that's what I loaded at F6. So, I told it to look on the floppy again. It said NO.

I had a similar experience. The install didn't ask specifically for the IMSM driver, it just complained that it didn't see what it wanted on the 64 bit Matrix RAID driver disk that I was feeding it. After a couple of reboots, and a little time poking around in the BIOS looking for something that might have been causing the fits (to no avail) I just clicked through anyway and it loaded without any more complaints.

Try just ignoring the error and clicking "Next". It worked for me :)

This was with Vista Ultimate 64 on an Asus P5W64WS, using the IH7R RAID 0 array.

rogelah said:

Never mind my previous reply, I didn't catch that you were referring to XP. Did XP load alright after you passed the Matrix RAID drivers via the F6/FDD step? It should have. It sounds like it's just looking for the Matrix Storage Mgr. application, which is seperate from the driver that was loaded via the F6step. You can grab that off of Intel's site if it's not on your install CD. The machine should run without Matrix Storage Manager installed, but you'll need that if you want to manage the storage matrix from within XP.

I should have said that I'm using a USB connected floppy. I think that once I get to the second request for the IMSM it doesn't recognize the USB connected floppy anymore and if I try to get past it it just keeps asking for IMSM in Floppy Drive A: relentlessly.

I've ordered a USB connected CD/DVD. I'll use it to put the Vista 64 install DVD in. Vista should have no problem doing the install form the USB CD/DVD (or at least I hope so).

Since I am retired, this is keeping me occupied searching for solutions. I am too stubborn to put in an IDE floppy and/or an IDE CD/DVD. The ASUS folks and/or the Vista folks should have been clearer on what connection combinations were required as a minimum. I elected to go all SATA and then learned that you can't mix SATA disks in a RAID array with a SATA CD/DVD (really IDE) on the ICH8R and that somewhere in the Vista install the install failed to recognize the SATA CD/DVD I had moved from ICH8R to JMicron even though it had booted the DVD and had gotten to the "install now" screen.

The external CD/DVD arrived, I connected it to one USB port, put the Vista 64 install disk in it and put the floppy with the IMSM driver in the floppy connected to the other USB port.

Less that one hour later I was up running Vista 64.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

PS The Windows experience rating is 5.2 out of the box.

Back