• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keeping all files when upgrading from Win98SE to WinXP Home (not an upgrade disk)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

niteshs

Registered
Keeping all files when upgrading from Win98SE to WinXP Home (not an upgrade disk)

Hi, I have a bunch of movies and songs that I don't want to lose, how I do this preferably using free software.

I think you can upgrade with a full install cd, just boot into win98 and run the winxp cd and there should be an option to do an upgrade instead of a full install.

Otherwise you will need to copy the files to another drive or to a CD/DVD. If it is a full retail disc, you can do an upgrade without losing your files. If it is an OEM disc, you will have to backup your files, since it wont allow an upgrade.

There's too many files to burn. Could I back them onto a partition? How do you boot into different partition's Could you recommend any free partition managers?

Back