• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't change FSB on S3 unless DVI-DSUB adapter is used on VGA card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Csybe

Hello Guys,

I posted my mysterious problem in several forums, but got only flaming instead of help. You are my last hope, and here I always got help when I had problems.

I've recently built my new rig, based upon a Gigabyte 965P-S3, an E6300, 2x1GB Geil PC6400 Ultra, Leadtek 7950GT Extreme, Tagan TG430-U15, etc. (see my sign for further details).

My problem is the same that some users were suffering from - the system just restarts before testing memory in POST as long as the "CPU Host Clock Control" is enabled. No matter what the FSB is set to, the problem is the same even with 266 or lower!

Tried everything, voltages, timings, disabled every integrated peripherials, did a CMOS reset, but no luck until I've read in various forums that it's some sort of problem between Geforce 7 series VGA cards with DVI port used, and (I think) Gigabyte 965 series. Needless to say that I'm using the latest F8 BIOS, but also tried F5 and F6.

When using a DVI-VGA adapter, the problem is gone, but depsite a workaround found, I'm deeply disappointed with the board. I haven't invested in a 7950GT to have to stick with its analogue output, especially because I'm planning to buy a 24" LCD in the near future.

The most strange thing is that users who had this problem with their S3/DS3/DQ6/etc, had it months ago, and now some say that it's fixed with a BIOS update. Again, I'm using the latest BIOS to date.

What do you Guys think? Also, can anyone confirm that it's a problem with Gigabyte boards, not the 965 chipset? Or is that a flaw in the VGA card?

thanks for your replies :)

regards

Csybe said:
Hello Guys,

I posted my mysterious problem in several forums, but got only flaming instead of help. You are my last hope, and here I always got help when I had problems.

I've recently built my new rig, based upon a Gigabyte 965P-S3, an E6300, 2x1GB Geil PC6400 Ultra, Leadtek 7950GT Extreme, Tagan TG430-U15, etc. (see my sign for further details).

My problem is the same that some users were suffering from - the system just restarts before testing memory in POST as long as the "CPU Host Clock Control" is enabled. No matter what the FSB is set to, the problem is the same even with 266 or lower!

Tried everything, voltages, timings, disabled every integrated peripherials, did a CMOS reset, but no luck until I've read in various forums that it's some sort of problem between Geforce 7 series VGA cards with DVI port used, and (I think) Gigabyte 965 series. Needless to say that I'm using the latest F8 BIOS, but also tried F5 and F6.

When using a DVI-VGA adapter, the problem is gone, but depsite a workaround found, I'm deeply disappointed with the board. I haven't invested in a 7950GT to have to stick with its analogue output, especially because I'm planning to buy a 24" LCD in the near future.

The most strange thing is that users who had this problem with their S3/DS3/DQ6/etc, had it months ago, and now some say that it's fixed with a BIOS update. Again, I'm using the latest BIOS to date.

What do you Guys think? Also, can anyone confirm that it's a problem with Gigabyte boards, not the 965 chipset? Or is that a flaw in the VGA card?

thanks for your replies :)

regards
I have that almost exact setup. E6300,2GB DDR-800, 7800GT OC, 500W PSU, And i can boot at 400+ No problems. Maybe it is a problem with your video card. Have you tried any other cards?

moho said:
I have that almost exact setup. E6300,2GB DDR-800, 7800GT OC, 500W PSU, And i can boot at 400+ No problems. Maybe it is a problem with your video card. Have you tried any other cards?

Thanks for your reply. I don't think my VGA card has a problem because a motherboard BIOS setting triggers the issue.

Do you use your VGA's DVI output?

It might be some kind of incompatibility, however, between Gigabyte's 965 series and _some_ of the nVidia Geforce 7 based VGAs.

Csybe said:
Thanks for your reply. I don't think my VGA card has a problem because a motherboard BIOS setting triggers the issue.

Do you use your VGA's DVI output?

It might be some kind of incompatibility, however, between Gigabyte's 965 series and _some_ of the nVidia Geforce 7 based VGAs.
Yeah, I use the DVI port, as well as the VGA port.
That is very odd.

This might be a long shot but have you tried changing the videocard setting from PCI to AGP or PCI-E somewhere in BIOS.

Thats an interesting problem.

Try a different BIOS or maybe PM someone who has the board who had the problem but fixed it to see what BIOS worked for them.

TheCheat said:
Thats an interesting problem.

Try a different BIOS or maybe PM someone who has the board who had the problem but fixed it to see what BIOS worked for them.

Different BIOS-es already tried - F5, F6 (factory), F8 (flashed twice).

I found one guy on a forum, PM'd him, but no answer yet...

Though I'm starting to think that there is no other solution than replacing the VGA or the motherboard, or live with the DSUB adapter...

Back