• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My memory died...check this error count.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Hello all,

We recently went through a temporary power loss (only for like .5 seconds). But it was enough to take out my memory. The day after, I couldn't do anything in Windows without it BSOD after logging in (if I didn't do anything, it was ok...but isn't that how Windows normally runs?:beer:). After a few reboots, it wouldn't even start loading Windows, so I underclocked my 1000mhz memory to 532mhz, overvolted it and relaxed the timings so it would boot into Windows. It still was really messed up, so I pulled out my disc of MemTest+86 and ran a test, after just one pass, check how many errors it received!!

Note: The pic is of it running 632mhz, 4-4-4-5 timing, at 2.35v.
IMG_0740.jpg

After getting extremely frustrated with the memory, I "stole" (asked nicely) memory from someone else, reinstalled Windows, and everything is working good!!

Thideras

CGR said:
Did you have the system on a surge protector or UPS?

Well, thats the thing, it was on surge protection, but it was not plugged into my UPS (omg, it would drain it in < 1min). But here is the problem, I doubt it was a surge, because the 360 in my room shut off, along with my monitor. I believe it was a "temporary loss of power". My computer did NOT shut off when this happened, and I believe this is why my memory is now redered useless.

Hmm, that shouldnt have done anything bad to the memory though. A surge may have but a powerdip and no system restart shouldnt have done anything.

meionm said:
I would try running memtest with that last timming relaxed.

Ive tested at 532mhz, 4-4-4-7 timing, and 2.35v. It does not show any errors, but get this. Everytime Windows starts, BSOD! No matter what.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
have you tried at stock?

...stock is 1000mhz...4-4-4-5 latency and 2.1v...it wont even post at that...hehe

thideras said:
Wow, I really want to do that...lol.
It's REALLY easy if you get a UPS that has a 12v battery already in it. Just replace the current 12v battery with a larger car model and you are set. I HIGHLY recommend a sealed unit though, such as a decent marine deep cycle battery.

I ran into a prob a while back with memory that would pass no problem in memtest, but tank/BSOD in windows... I ended up downloading a memory diagnostic utility from microsoft, and a different utility ( i cant think of the name at the moment )

FWIW, memtest isn't the definitive "catch all" that at least *i* thought it was. You may want to try a couple other progs to be sure.

~ Gos

Goshawk said:
I ran into a prob a while back with memory that would pass no problem in memtest, but tank/BSOD in windows... I ended up downloading a memory diagnostic utility from microsoft, and a different utility ( i cant think of the name at the moment )

FWIW, memtest isn't the definitive "catch all" that at least *i* thought it was. You may want to try a couple other progs to be sure.

~ Gos
Thanks for the info! Mine was doing the same thing; passing Memtest, BSOD in Windows immediately. I'll look around for more programs.

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Jesus christ.....1ghz? mem @ 4-4-4-5????

I need to get on newer memory..
Hehe, yeah, I kind of went overboard when I wanted a high end system...but they are really getting up there huh?

Back