• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Doesn't Turn off PC - Must force off!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
So I go to shutdown, and I ALWAYS get an error with EAXCONSOLE (maybe related to that, but just wanted to mention)...

It logs out with a BLUE background (guess that's default), says shutting down (showing dialog box), then dialog box disappears and background stays blue infinitely.

I'm assuming that when the shutdown dialog box disappears, that the OS is supposed to send a signal to the PC to turn off, but it just doesn't. :(

I'd say about 20-30% of the time it actually does shutdown, but majority of the time it doesn't. :(

Try completely uninstalling your SoundBlaster and all it's software and see if it will shutdown properly. EAXCONSOLE.EXE is the Creative Console app and it could be that the driver is not releasing, which won't let the system power down.

If that works, we can only hope the install was corrupt and a reinstall will take care of it.

EDIT:

On second thought, disabling the SoundBlaster device in Device Manager could work. Try that first and uninstall if nothing improves.

Jon said:
Try completely uninstalling your SoundBlaster and all it's software and see if it will shutdown properly. EAXCONSOLE.EXE is the Creative Console app and it could be that the driver is not releasing, which won't let the system power down.

If that works, we can only hope the install was corrupt and a reinstall will take care of it.

EDIT:

On second thought, disabling the SoundBlaster device in Device Manager could work. Try that first and uninstall if nothing improves.
gonna try that... thx pal!!! :) my x-fi takes forever to install...

Just as a side note, my x-fi drivers do the same thing... however it only does it in XP Pro... the problem is gone in Vista(but i get to deal with sound cutting out in games instead). Driver problem I would imagine... but creative likes to take their time in releasing anything now a days... so we might be stuck with a bunk driver for a while.

okay so i disabled the sound blaster device... i was able to shutdown TWICE completely, and without "EAX CONSOLE" error.

I'm now going to uninstall the X-Fi software, and then reinstall... hope it helps.

Also, in DM... I had an "Other Device" that was unrecognized... have NO CLUE what that was for... musta been related... ?

so i reinstalled soundblaster x-fi, and it then prompted me to restart...

guess what happened when i restarted... after "shutting down" dialog box disappeared, all i saw was the blue background... i waited a good min too...

grrrrrr... this has been happening even since my fresh install of windows a few weeks ago...

Jon said:
Maybe try a different PCI slot for the card?
really??

well, i didn't get the "EAX CONSOLE" error after the reinstall...

I guess I'll try a diff slot - can't hurt...

If only there was a way for me to actually have a log of some sort of what's not shutting down... i wish i could leave taskmgr open while shutting down, but that probably gets closed down before windows is actually shutting down...

I hate reformatting with a passion... just HATE the process...

g0dM@n said:
So I go to shutdown, and I ALWAYS get an error with EAXCONSOLE (maybe related to that, but just wanted to mention)...

It logs out with a BLUE background (guess that's default), says shutting down (showing dialog box), then dialog box disappears and background stays blue infinitely.

I'm assuming that when the shutdown dialog box disappears, that the OS is supposed to send a signal to the PC to turn off, but it just doesn't. :(

I'd say about 20-30% of the time it actually does shutdown, but majority of the time it doesn't. :(

So you didn't have this problem before you formatted/reinstalled but now you do? Did you use the same Driver? If changing the PCI slot doesn't work you might want to try running SFC (System File Checker), its a long shot but it might work.

To run SFC:

Insert your windows xp install cd (while in windows)
then type "sfc /scannow" into the run command

Then wait for SFC to do its magic and see if it helped.

yeah i don't think i ever had this problem before the reformat... and yes it's the same driver (i hate creative's drivers...). it takes 300 hours to install and i have to use the CD every time...

anyway, i'll change the pci slot, and then if tha doesn't work, i'll try SFC like you said... i'm assuming i have to be on the E: (optical drive) before i run that command, right?

thx.

g0dM@n said:
yeah i don't think i ever had this problem before the reformat... and yes it's the same driver (i hate creative's drivers...). it takes 300 hours to install and i have to use the CD every time...

anyway, i'll change the pci slot, and then if tha doesn't work, i'll try SFC like you said... i'm assuming i have to be on the E: (optical drive) before i run that command, right?

thx.

All you have to do is have the XP cd in your DVD drive then,

Start-->Run-->"SFC /scannow"

Here is some info about SFC --> LINK

gonna give this SFC a whirl... this problem is really getting on my nerves now... i've been putting this off for too long!! :(

i tried SFC and it stopped halfway through I forget why... still haven't been able to figure this out. :(

Krome said:
I'm seeing a similar problem on a friend's Dell. Did this get resolved?
nope... still does it... even when i try to reboot... it's VERY annoying!!!

i can't even risk trying to shutdown remotely (like shut down my PC at home while i'm at work through remote desktop)... cuz i've done that b4 and my dual LCDs end up being a completely blue background for HOURS... i'm afraid it'll not be good for the monitors... very, VERY annoying... don't have the time to format and reinstall everything cuz i got a lot of stuff to intall :(

VinnyTAMU said:
All you have to do is have the XP cd in your DVD drive then,

Start-->Run-->"SFC /scannow"

Here is some info about SFC --> LINK
So I got the SFC /scannow to complete, but after it completed it just disappears... I figured it would give a summary or something?

Anyway, still have the same problem. :(

this happened on one of my other rigs... i had to edit the registry and del the key to the eax thing.... fixed my problem.. heh

Back