• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question About Installing Memory (DIMM Sockets)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xenithon

Just a quick question regarding installation of the RAM modules in my Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4: I have 2x1GB Kingston Valueram DDR2 memory which I want to run in dual channel. The manual says I should install it in either DIMM1/DIMM2 or in DIMM3/DIMM4. It says though that if there are only two modules, they suggest installing in DIMM1/DIMM2.

I have a Scythe Ninja Rev. B cooler (imported a while ago as they are not available locally, before I knew which mobo I would end up with). Due to its size, I think it will touch the RAM modules if in DIMM1/DIMM2. Is there anything detrimental to the mobo or to the speed of the system if I install the RAM in DIMM3/DIMM4 instead, to avoid the heatsink touching the modules?

Cheers,
X

PS. my mobo is Rev. 1.0. I am not sure if this problem occurs only in this revision or also in Rev. 1.1.

Some boards prefer you to use certain slots for dual channel. My advice is to put them in the 3/4 slots boot up make sure its running in dual mode and go from there. If it doesnt boot in dual than you know you cant use those slots.

My DFI board prefers the use of the two slots nearest the cpu for dual channel. While you can use the other two for dual, its my understanding that it is a bit flakey.

Ok, thanks. The manual says that they suggest DIMM1/2 and not that it is mandatory. They have a matrix showing different configurations and according to that, having DIMM3/4 populated and 1/2 empty should be ok (I hope ;) )

Back