• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a AMD 1gig Thunderbird with DDR PC2100 running AT 200MHZ INSTEAD OF 266MHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orroro

I have an AMD THUNDERBIRD 1000MHZ CPU, and I plan to either get the EPoX 8kha+ motherboard or a Shuttle Ak31A, both use DDR memory modules, either PC2100(266mhz) or PC1600(200mhz)..I would like to use my Thunderbird 1gig processor in the new motherboard to make sure it works and also to try overclocking it alittle..It is an (AJFA0043MPM)..AMD told me that it is a 200 mhz FSB and to use PC1600 DDR OR PC100 OR PC133 all running at the 200mhz FSB.. I want to know if I would be able to still build the system I mentioned above and run PC2100 at 200mhz FSB and still be able to run the 1gig Thunderbird that I have at the 200mhz speed??If I overclock it I would then be able to use the PC2100 DDR its 266mhz speed, right?? Or can this model of thunderbird only run at 200mhzFSB even if overclocked??Please help.. I plan to trade up to a Thunderbird that can run at 266mhz, but for now I am just trying to use what I have so I can afford the new motherboard and DDR..
Thanks,
orroro

:burn:

You can do that.

As far as the chip running at 266MHz, it might and it might not. Lowering the multiplier and raising the FSB would probably do it but as it is with any processor, it's gamble.

Go ahead and get the PC2100, there's no reason not to. It's backwards compatible even if your chip won't run on a 266MHz bus.

Back