• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Disk Defrag Software - 2007

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which disk defragmentation tool do you prefer?

• Windows Built-in

Votes: 46 15.8%
  • Raxco

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • Ashampoo

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • O&O

Votes: 54 18.5%
  • DisKeeper

Votes: 95 32.5%
  • DiskTrix

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Other (Please list)

Votes: 40 13.7%
  • I use Linux, baby!

Votes: 21 7.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Encore2097

So I was hoping we could have a thread that is slightly updated and maybe with a poll :) (Mods if you would)

So far here is what I have come across:

-O&O Defrag 8.6 (Latest)
-Diskeeper 2007
-Raxco PerfectDisk
-Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2 ( see this cdfreaks article: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Ashampoo-launches-high-speed-disk-defragmentation-tool.html )
-DiskTrix UltimateDefrag
-Windows Built-in defrag

Feel free to comment with you experiences/stories, but if you just want to vote please wait for the poll, I'd like to keep the thread relativly clean :).

I thought of a way to test the efficiency of these programs, but I don't really have the time to do it. Basically, create a HD image of a fragmented drive and then run defrag software on it, then record time elapsed and drive before and after statistics. Then clone the fragmented image back to the drive and run the next defragging software. Finally, compare the results (% fragmented left, % free space, etc..) with the time it took to complete and we will have our winner :clap: :thup:

I do not know how effective the image based test could be. When you restore a HDD with an image all of the files are packed right at the beginning of the HDD. Might make it tough to defragment.

my vote goes to O&O. it is quite fast in defragmenting all my 4 partitions simultaneously without having any impact on the performance.

Were is the option for the built in defrag?

I have never used any of the above but I may have to at some point now...

Another vote for o&o- low system resource usage, simultaneous drive defragging (has to queue partitions though), and customizable defrag runs.

I like Perfectdisk so well that I've purchased v6 and now v8. I don't buy software unless it really impresses me.

Encore2097 said:
So I was hoping we could have a thread that is slightly updated and maybe with a poll :) (Mods if you would)

So far here is what I have come across:

-O&O Defrag 8.6 (Latest)
-Diskeeper 2007
-Raxco PerfectDisk
-Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2 ( see this cdfreaks article: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Ashampoo-launches-high-speed-disk-defragmentation-tool.html )
-DiskTrix UltimateDefrag
-Windows Built-in defrag

I'm not impressed with Disk Keeper Lite and the Windows defrag is about even with it. And I'm not paying for their full version.

Best defrag program I ever used was the old PCTools. I think Symantec bought them out some years ago and borked all their good programs.

I use Perfect Disk. I've tried a few others, but I always end up going back to Perfect Disk. It uses little in the way of system resources and optimizes file placement on the HD. Like my grandfather used to say, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

(Or my cousin, "If it doesn't fit, force it....if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway...")

whats the big deal spending 30 bucks on a software called Diskeeper when you can defrag using WIndows XP tools? What are some good tools disk keeper uses?

IAmMoen said:
windows defrag = the big suck
In all seriousness... why? I don't have any experience with the other tools, so convince me why I should use them. Not that I say the windows one is any better than those... just its all I have ever used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back