• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5b Questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechJunky

I noticed that the P5B-Deluxe seems to be the favorite here. I was curious why people are not going with the P5B-E or P5B Express motherboard instead? Is it simply that you can afford the Deluxe?

The only difference I have been able to tell from the specs are as follows..

P5B Express: Northbridge uses ICH8 not the ICH8R, does not support Pentium EE, CHEAP.

P5B-E: No Quad Core Support, middle of the road price wise.

P5B-Deluxe: No Quad Core Support, Fancy features like Wifi, most expensive of its series.

To me the express, which is cheaper actually looks like it would be better because it supports the quad cores... I dont know much about the ICH8 vs the ICH8R for the northbridge... Is it that big of an issue?

Thanks.

I am leaning towards a C2D E6300 Conroe with the P5B Express.

Maybe i found the answer to my own question...

Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

So basically the cycle timing of the memory is super slow...

I guess its time to look into the p5n-E.

Hi there & wellcome ! Adding few comments !

TechJunky said:
P5B Express: Northbridge uses ICH8 not the ICH8R, does not support Pentium EE, CHEAP.

P5B-E: No Quad Core Support, middle of the road price wise.

P5B-Deluxe: No Quad Core Support, Fancy features like Wifi, most expensive of its series.

Well, current P5B-Deluxe is well known as one of the best quad core OCing mobo ! :D

TechJunky said:
I dont know much about the ICH8 vs the ICH8R for the northbridge... Is it that big of an issue?

Check the Matrix thread sticky at storage section or just click the smiley at my sig :D, I highly recommended you to choose the mobo with ICH8R rather than plain ICH8 !

TechJunky said:
Maybe i found the answer to my own question...

Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

So basically the cycle timing of the memory is super slow...

I guess its time to look into the p5n-E.

do not even pay attention to that, if you really wanna find out just look at people sigs lol

i can run any mem I want in this mobo

there wss a problem in the beginning it was half bios and half ram, with bios revisions and memory being spd flashed to start at 5-5-5x at 1.8 regardless of rated timing the problems have gone away with the no boot issue which required a 1.8v stock dimm with 5-5-5 or 6-6-6- back then to even boot.

things have changed since then

It shows on the website that the P5B-Deluxe doesnt support quad core.... Is this a hack in order to get it to work? Or can you simply put a quad core in the mobo and it will work at 1333mhz?

Check "official" Asus bios download site for P5B-Dlx latest BIOS's description, they stated on latest bios is now supports 1333, so its official ! :)

Back