• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dangerous process?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

i have this thing called a winlogon.exe which is in my program files called xerox. i researched it and it said it can register as a trojan. its 7 percent dangerous but i want it gone because this makes people remote logon to my PC. is there a way to delete it iu was told it is a difficult process.

winlogin itself is a critical process.
Are you saying that you have an extra winlogin where it shouldn't be?

The process winlogon.exe is a legitimate process. However if you really want to delete it your best bet is probably using HiJackThis. Just be very careful when using HiJackThis, cause it lists a lot of processes and files that ARE Legitimate!

My advice if you think it is infected is just to run thru a few spyware/virus scanners and go from there.

winlogincc8.jpg

The real winlogin is a critical process, and it starts a massive tree of other critical processes, and is located in your system32 folder.

Use Process Explorer to see if you have a fake running around. If so, start running anti-spyware/virus stuff.

If you end winlogon.. Your going to screw up your Windows attributes. Since it supports many, I mean many of the user related proccesses that are very much needed.

winlogin is another story. That is the malware. Unless it is winlogon.exe.

A few examples of what logon does, and why it is a sweet terget for malware.

logon logoff
User Profiles
Network support
User shell access{acess for user permissions)
The most important WGA.. if your legit.

Pretty much if you have a User in NTFS, winlogon is the base for it.

If you have done some dumb fileshare. I mean opened idiot type files in fileshare. You need to evaluate your habits and then take action. If your clean, then your all good. For the most part. Run a online scan. If your totally still not convinced. Reload Windows.

i know they can use keyloggers on you. It depends if you have a strong virus protection, it might block it.

Back