• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock 775Dual-VSTA woes...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyrinon

Well, tried to get the mobo to work (I bought two of them...) but they do not boot. I figure they are DOA. Let me run it by you guys and please let me know if I missed something.

First, bought the Dual VSTA as an upgrade from s478 to get dual core crunching power and use the DDR and AGP cards that I have avail. For the first go around build, I installed an E6300, Tuniq tower, two sticks Corsair ddr400 512mb (1gb total) for dual channel, 160gb ATA 133 hd, Radeon 9800pro, Ultra 500w modular supply for power. No post. Fans spun up, but the HD didn't. Checked connections, everything ok. I don't know what BOIS the board has since it won't post, so I checked for CPU BIOS versions regarding Conroe, and the E6300 wasn't in all BIOS's. I figured the board didn't have an up to date BIOS, so I pulled the E6300 and installed a 521 which showed as ok in all BIOS's. The 521 is out of a working comp that was crunching away, and this new setup was now on the desk and out of the case. Gave it another go. Nothing. I thought it could be a bad PSU b/c of the hard drive not spinning up, but thought I would unplug the ATA cable from the mobo but leave power to the HD. Fired up the machine, and the HD spun up. Still no post. No beep codes. Switched out the ram with other Corsair DDR400, tried all RAM slots, no change, even used DDR2, changed vid cards, changed the PSU to a Fortron 530w, changed cables, attempted BIOS reset. Nothing. Even pulled the Tuniq and installed the stock cooler in case there was a short from the back plate (clearance looked ok...). Still nothing. Figured I may have a bad board. Stuff happens and I went to the next board. Installed the 521 in the other mobo along with the vid card and one stick of RAM. Same stuff, no post. I thought that there could of been an issue with the 9800 pro's that I have, so I switched that out with a Voodoo 5 PCI card. Still no post. I'm out of ideas, so with that, you guys/gals figure I received two DOA boards? I'm thinking that I did.

The boards were ordered from mwave.com, and thier return policy states to goto the manufacture web site for retail mobo issues. Asrock site pretty much states to speak with the dealer for returns. Advice for returning items if any suggestions to get the boards to post fail?

Thanks for your time!

Well, for an update, I had emailed both ASRock and mwave.com in regards into the issue and wasn't surprised when mwave.com answered first with a 'live' person email. They figure both boards are DOA and suggested I call their 800# for an RMA. For my first dealing with mwave.com, I have to say I am very pleased with the whole order, except for the dead boards and that's not their fault.

I must say though, I wasn't impressed by the ASRock board (you don't say...), but I'd still be willing to give an ASRock board another chance sometime in the future, but not anytime soon. lol

Thanks all.

Too bad Tyrinon,

I am still using my 775Dual-Vsta, and I am very happy with it. At least mwave is allowing you to RMA the boards.

Good luck to you,

Bryan d

Back