• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memery prices stabilised?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nTesla

Registered
Well the past month or so, RAM prices have fallen to the best prices yet (well here in the UK anyway) I read it was due to the big boys running some sort of cartel (price fixing) and hence why prices have fallen dramatically. Anyone know whether prices will fall further or this is the best we'll see for a while.

I'd rather snap up some ram now if prices have stabilised because last time prices went up almost double!

I used to find myself asking the same question when buying hardware. If you wait for the next best thing or the next big price you will be waiting forever. Unless there is a significant drop coming up soon. For memory, I'm not sure that will happen soon.

RAM is not cheap now. It was cheap around May 2006. There is no reason for it to be cheap in the near future (demand is very high and supply is tight). That new operating system makes the situation worse. Cheap DDR1 is a thing of the past. Cheap DDR2 will come some day. Flash memory is very cheap (RAM went up and flash went down).

E_tron said:
RAM is not cheap now. It was cheap around May 2006. There is no reason for it to be cheap in the near future (demand is very high and supply is tight). That new operating system makes the situation worse. Cheap DDR1 is a thing of the past. Cheap DDR2 will come some day. Flash memory is very cheap (RAM went up and flash went down).
uhhhh. DDRII is cheap now. You can get 2GB of D9 for under 200.00. How much cheaper do you want ti to get?

I think RAM is the cheapest it's ever been (UK). Not sure about other countries, but never has 2gigs of RAM been under £100 (both DDR and DDR2)

Think I might grab some while they're cheap.

E_tron said:
...demand is very high and supply is tight

which is just exactly the way they want it and have purposely made it.
Just like the oil providers. :mad:

E_tron said:

FWIW, RAM is cheaper now than it was then.... LOTS of shops, including the one i work at, lost they're shorts on RAM last month.

Selling price for DDR2-667 1x 512 went from 63.00 to 47.00 in the last two weeks, and is sitting at 41.00 right now. Lucky we didn't have a ton of it in, but still. Basically, in order to stay competitive, it doesn't matter what you bought the stuff at... the best thing to do is take the loss, lower the price to stay in line with the competition... and pray it doesn't do it again any time soon.

~ Gos

Some amazing deals on ddr2 here in the uk ocuk have 2gb geil pc6400 4-4-4-12 for 123 pounds inc p&p which is just insane i paid 187 for 2gb kingston value 5300 before christmas and just paid almost 100 for 1gb of crucial ballistix a week ago

woa dang, haven't been checking those prices since end januar, with the same money I can get ocz titanium alpha's (pc8000 4-4-4-4-something) instead of descent pc6400 :D Will be buying a new rig soon ;)

Sorry for the confusion. Let me clear my statement up:

The price of RAM today and a year ago (around March 2006) are almost the same. The recent price drop has offset the slightly rising prices experienced during fall 2006 and winter 2006. Archive.org's way back machine is a good way to verify this. zipzoomfly.com's homepage is an excellent example. Click anywhere from Jan - Aug 2006.

There is no point to this argument anyway. We still have to buy RAM at the time we need it at the current market price. I just wanted RAM to follow Moore's Law, bigger and better every 1.5 years. I'm now seeing that trend in RAM once again with the recent drops in price.

Remember how crappy DDR2 was when it was first released?
Yeah.
It's gonna be a while until DDR3 is available, affordable, and can perform significantly better than DDR2. I'de say 1.5-2 years at least.

IWasHungry said:
Remember how crappy DDR2 was when it was first released?
Yeah.
It's gonna be a while until DDR3 is available, affordable, and can perform significantly better than DDR2. I'de say 1.5-2 years at least.

agreed, glad i bought ram just when prices started to go down

Thanks for the info guys. I've now read another article that the price fall is temporary and prices may go up again in Q2. I think I'll be buying some ram now.

I just got some corsair memory for my work computer last week and it has gone up by about $3.00 already. And the OCZ memory in my sig has gone up by about $10.00 in the last month. All at newegg.

Yes both DDR2 and DDR memory went way up within the past year, but they have both come back down again. Kind of like watching the stock market, buy low, sell high. Yes, this is a good time to buy based on the prices that I'm seeing here in the states.

athlonhead said:
I just got some corsair memory for my work computer last week and it has gone up by about $3.00 already. And the OCZ memory in my sig has gone up by about $10.00 in the last month. All at newegg.

That could be something else, ddr is becoming something of the past, the demand is becoming smaller, the production too. The costs of the production can't be spread over as much products, thus the ddr becomes more expensive.

Back