• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Intel 775 Mobo/CPU suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gillbot

Ok, before the flames start, I'm looking for something CHEAP to mess with!

With that out of the way, I noticed that you can actually get a 775 mobo with DDR and AGP support. I was unaware of this until just now. I've been out of the intel camp for YEARS but after reading around here I an thinking of giving the 775 chips a try. What i'm looking for is a CHEAP mobo that has overclocking options, AGP and DDR ram support. This will allow me to mess a little but limit my expenditure until I get a feel for the chip and how I like it. I am somewhat flexible on the AGP support since i'm sure I could find something with built in video or get a very cheap pci-e vid card. That is unless I could even use a regular PCI video card.

I'd probably start out with a lower end Celeron or Pentium D and go from there. If I end up liking the system, I might sell off my A64 rig and go full bore with the Intel stuff! I'm just not ready to sell off my DDR400 ram yet and buy DDR2.

Here's your chance Intel zealots, save me some $ and get me back on the intel camp!

I've been reading through the forums here quite a bit and most people don't really approach OC'in a system on a budget. I'm just looking for something as a toy for the short term to feel it out.

From what I have read:
1) It doesn't OC much.
2)It seems to work better with DDR than DDR2.

FYI We have the same birthday - small world!

If there's a cheap board that OC's ok but requires DDR2, i'd be willing to make the move. I just don't want to plunk down a load of cash on something I might not keep.

newegg has plenty of them under $100 but that doesn't mean they'll OC well if at all. I'm leaning towards the one linked above. That would allow DDR400 and a later upgrade to DDR2 as $ permits.

Gillbot said:
Any other suggestions?

I'm open to about ANYTHING but i'd prefer lower cost and DDR400 support.

I don't think there IS anything cheaper than the Asrock board.

IMHO the Asrock is a better choice; sure it's debatable.

It is you're choice and you need to do what you're comfortable with.

Back