• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! P5w DH deluxe can run 399fsb but not 400+ wtf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oc1Kenube

Firstly hi y'all, as this is my first oc post.

Ok as title suggest i have a problem with my Asus p5w dh deluxe i am currently running orthos stable @ 399fsb 1:1 with ram running at 4-4-4-12 but as soon as i step on to or above 400fsb i become unstable, usually very quickly this is very annoying as i have read many reviews of this board pushing 450 plus although an almost 50% oc aint bad by any means i want more as im sure there is plenty left.

I am currently running

bios setting below version 1901

voltages
1.65nb 1.20sb,1.5125v on vcore and 2.2v on dimms as windows will not boot below these or will not stay stable.
I know these are probably too high but i have had no temp problems reported in speedfan as of yet and cpu is running 25-28 idle and currently running 46-48 degrees after 1 hour of orthos blend test and i have touched all heatsinks and they are all cool to touch i am running 7 x 80mm fans in total and airflow is very good all cables spiral wrapped etc

spd timing manual and all speedstep/qfan/cpuid disabled etc

Im a relative nub to the oc game but have done a lot of reading prior and feel like i have a decent understanding but now seem to be stuck in a rut please help.

System specs are

Asus p5w dh deluxe
E6300 with fitted Arctic freezer 7 and arctic silver 5 tim
1gb Crucial ballistix 6400 rated 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v
Galaxy 7900gs 256mb core 671/ mem 1.71ghz effective
Power supply - ezcool 600w
WD caviar 80gb

Not sure what to try other than maybe go into CPU settings and "Enable multiplier ratio adjustment" and set it to 6 (not much of a drop but would tell you if there is something with the chip that orthos isn't detecting. Also, this could just be the max of that particular P5W DH Deluxe. I know that mine won't go over about ~430 so it is quite possible that its the board holding you back.

~jtjuska

''Enable multiplier ratio adjustment'' already tried this can boot to windows havent tried orthos yet though will do it soon could my cheap ezcool psu be holding me back? I dont want to throw money at it if not totally nessescary as i am saving for 2gb more ballistix for vista prep but would really like to hit 3ghz

Lol just as i was typing orthos 1hr 10 mins in crapped out and windows froze while running 399fsb im starting to despair :O)

Last edited:
Yeah disabled hyperpath 3 ive managed to hit 400fsb @ 2.80ghz but had to max all chipset voltages and vcore was running 1.525v but even then orthos fails after 2-10 minutes yet runs 3dmark 06 3 x test and plays all games no probs including football manager 2007 which is pretty cpu and mem intensive.

I think i may have crap mobo as ram should easily cope at 400fsb as its rated 800mhz and any lockups in windows suggest a non ram error while at 400.

I am already running the fan on the Nb that came with it but am now thinking of removing chipset heatsinks and replacing factory t.i.m with arctic silver 5 ,do you think i should bother? as im sure heat is not the problem with 7 80mm fans running flatout and system temps of no more than 30c and not a great deal higher on full load again im starting to think my psu could be holding me back as it is only a cheap ezcool 600w psu but really dont know if this would limit me like this.

Hi
I'm at 432 FSB and with 1.46v vcore bios, 1.65v Nb and 2.3v memory. I found if I had either northbridge or mem any lower I was unstable. Even at 2.25v memory I was having trouble.

Ive tried running at 400 fsb with multiplier at 6 orthos ran for 11 mins then failed so ive now reverted back to 266 with ram @ 800mhz 2.2v im gonna run orthos now as im starting to think the failures might be related to the ram being faulty anyone know crucials rma policy and where to get in touch with them if this is the case?

If your running 1:1 on that Ballistix, 450 fsb might be too much for it... even with 2.2v Have you tried loosening the timings at all?

~ Gos

@ goshawk im not trying for 450 fsb im trying for 400 @ 1:1 and the ballistix are rated at 2.2v 800mhz 4-4-4-12 so should not pose a problem as they are only running at rated speed only fsb/cpu are overclocked ive tried looser timings read my original post for further details.

Got the fsb stable @ 400 after 1 hour on orthos which is leaps and bounds past where i was.

It appears that it was too much heat on the northbridge causing the problems i was having, after i removed the asus t.i.m and replaced it with arctic silver 5 and removed those asus metal caps from nb and sb, mobo temps dropped by 8 degrees c and as you can see from pic orthos stable after 1 hour which is good enough for me as the only time my ram and processor is stressed like that generally is when converting dvd'd which i dont do too much anyway.

Oc1Kenube said:
@ goshawk im not trying for 450 fsb im trying for 400 @ 1:1 and the ballistix are rated at 2.2v 800mhz 4-4-4-12 so should not pose a problem as they are only running at rated speed only fsb/cpu are overclocked ive tried looser timings read my original post for further details.

Sorry man, i'm illiterate :rolleyes:

~ Gos

1.65 on vmch as i dont have 1.85 option did you volt mod? if so can you point me in the right direction as i had heard rumours a bios update may be coming that enables 1.85 but if that turns out not to be true a vmod may be my only other option.

Back