• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 680i MB and RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T.N.D.

Registered
Man, that is some pricey ram. Wouldnt you be better off buying four 1G sticks? Performance wise atleast, those 2G sticks are timed at 6-6-6-16, which is pretty slow. The volatges are spot on (1.8v), which is the crux of the EVGA 680i issue.

I dont know what your overall goal is, but you do know you need to run a 64bit OS (Vista I assume) to get Windows to recognise and utilize all 4G.

You should check with the EVGA Support forum. There is a listing of verified RAM with part numbers that are garunteed to drop in and run.

I'm using Crucial Ballistix. I didn't have to adjust my volts to get it to run, but I did change it to the recommended volt later. I have not had any problems with it, the 680i board, or anything else on my machine. I believe that most of the people that did have problems were ones running higher frequency ram. I'm running the p23 BIOS which I believe is the most stable one out right now.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80061-9

I dont know what your overall goal is, but you do know you need to run a 64bit OS (Vista I assume) to get Windows to recognise and utilize all 4G.
Well this why I want to go with 4 gigs of RAM, first off I know that I wont use the full 4 gigs of RAM, but from what I understand that the max is around 3.5 gigs that Vista will utalize(sp).
I understand that 2 gigs is good enough but I read that 4 gigs is the "sweet spot", I would rather waste .5 gigs of RAM than maybe not having enough to run games in the future, I don't want to be under RAmed like I was in BF2.

T.N.D.

P.S. I will be running the 32bit version of Vista.

Be careful with the higher voltage RAM - 2.2V I see for your chouice.

I was using the Crucial 10th anniversay 2 x 1GB sticks which are 2.1V. At first they overclocked great (1600 MHz FSB with 800 MHZ RAM) but then I started having system crashes and sometimes it wouldn't even POST. I got it running again for now at stock speeds and 2.1V RAM but no more overclocking. And this is my third EVGA board!

I have a set of 2x 1GB Corsair XMS sticks (1.9V DDR2 6400) coming that I hope will let me run more stable. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

It seems like the EVGA board has issues with RAM voltage. The higher the voltage the worse the problem.

I am hoping to run my RAM at 19.V and it's spec 800MHz and my CPU at 3.2 GHz. I should know by this evening, then I'll reply tomorrow.

I am hoping to run my RAM at 19.V and it's spec 800MHz and my CPU at 3.2 GHz. I should know by this evening, then I'll reply tomorrow.
Yes, let me know how they work for you.

T.N.D.

T.N.D. said:
Yes, let me know how they work for you.

T.N.D.
I had mixed results. I still can't post if I use my new RAM (which is 1.9V) in the color coded channels. ie. Both in blue ram slots or both in black RAM slots. The only way it would post was with the RAM in the second blue slot and the second black slot back from the CPU. But it did boot correctly! I'm RMA'ing the board to get one that will do the RAM channels correctly.

SRDSMN said:
I have that motherboard, with a C2D E6300 and I use

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820145590

It works for me without problems.

~J
Ah, that's the exact RAM I bought! I'll cancel the RMA and do a little more troubleshooting. I am hoping a BIOS flash may allow me to use the other slots.

whats the price of the ram you posted??? i have some cellshocks and it work for me. havent tweaked it yet that much but im running stock timings 5-5-5-15@1200mhz. ill turn it down in a couple of days for better super pi 1m scores.:beer:

Back