• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling northbridge on ds3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ManChild

Registered
Well I hope everyone is having good overclocking success with their new boards. someone reported the nb gets hot. so how are we coolin them . show pic if you can. How do you mount the fan and where?

I have the tardiest mounting ever. I've attatched a papst 80mm fan just below my Schyte Infinity heatsink with some strings. It works great btw, the northbridge doesn't even feel hot, just lukewarm.

I havent OC'd any on this board or any for that fact.

I had an old computer that was a pentium 2. Looks like that fan from processor will fit on NB. Maybe just use different screws.

Can you take the NB off? It would make applying fan easier.

SWE_HELIX said:
I have the tardiest mounting ever. I've attatched a papst 80mm fan just below my Schyte Infinity heatsink with some strings. It works great btw, the northbridge doesn't even feel hot, just lukewarm.

I have the same setup atm.But i have a EVERCOOL EC-VC-RE thats going on it soon.I just dont feel like taking the mobo out just yet.

gigabit said:
I have the same setup atm.But i have a EVERCOOL EC-VC-RE thats going on it soon.I just dont feel like taking the mobo out just yet.
hey gigabit your pc still hanging and going back to dafault bios with fan on it.

yea mine gets really hot and i didnt even start overclocking it yet, i think im going to put a evercool on it, going to have to buy one cause i dont know where my other one went. its gets so hot that u can only put ur finger on it for at leasy 5 seconds.

im downloaidng everest to see if it shows my temps, im using stock heatsink waiting for my ultra-120 backplate to come in, and im waiting for my ram which should come tomorrow.

no northbridge temps i wonder what is it at lol

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,249
Last edited:
SWE_HELIX said:

wow pretty much have the same thing as you. Before my northbridge was hot to the touch, now it's just warm.

I think that's the only way since the infinity is a monster and probably wouldn't be able to fit a NB heatsink and fan underneath it.

if anyone gets an Evercool VC-RE cooler post some results please! Or if gigabit wants to install his

I will be doing it this weekend most likely.Id like to get a temp monitor also.Anyone know of a cheap one .Like under $15 shipped.Because id really like to see what the real difference will be

well i found a 40mm fan i think its 40mm or w.e in box and stuck it on its noisy but does a good job can now touch the heatsink and not get burned

img1549th5.jpg

Zalman makes an after market NB cooler that works great. Its about 10.00.

gigabit said:
I will be doing it this weekend most likely.Id like to get a temp monitor also.Anyone know of a cheap one .Like under $15 shipped.Because id really like to see what the real difference will be

gigabit you got thta cooler install yet. I got mine in the mail today. you going to take the entire heatsink off or just mount it over the heatsink.

Nah i didnt get a chance yet.I had out patient surgery yesterday and im in a lot of pain right now.I cant even bend or lean over.So im gonna have to do it in a few days.I really didnt think id be this sore.And yeah im taking the whole h/s off.But when you do it try to keep the square piece of foam in 1 piece so you can lay it on the chipset.This should keep the heatsink from wobbling

The crappy NB cooler is one of the things that turned me away from the DS3. I read way too many posts about scorching hot NB temps. If Gigabyte doesn't want to use a heatpipe on the DS3 then they ought to use a cooler with a medium-speed 50mm fan. It would only add about $5 to the cost of the board and I'm sure customers would be happy to pay the price. This is an enthusiast's motherboard and it needs an appropriate NB cooler for its customer base.

Back