• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good under $100 motherboard to OC an E6400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chapel976

Registered
I currently have an Intel Reference Board DG965WH with an E6400 Core 2 Duo.
So far it's pissed me off on 3 fronts:
1) I can't overclock it
2) I can't install most 'performance memory' (The first three sets of performance brand memory didn't work well, had to buy Kingston Value Ram)
3) I can't overclock it...

I don't want to go nuts on getting a super duper motherboard.
I just want to get my E6400 up to around 2.8ghz and I've got a BFG Tech 7950GT video card.

I'm checking NewEgg, but I don't really know who to go with on motherboards anymore... I've always used the reference boards, but the stability of the overclocked Core 2 Duos seems impressive enough to try it.

oh, and should I use the E6300 I have or the E6400 I have when OCing?

I do not think I'll be going SLI, but it's a SMALL possibility if the 7950GT becomes cheap enough

Last edited:
First welcome to the OC forums:welcome::welcome:

Thats a tuff call I think we have all been looking for a good OCing MOBO under $100

The 60$ Asrock in my sig can get you 300mghz. thats about it.

Its alot easier if you looked for a good OCing MOBO under 200$.

I settled on the P5B deluxe along with a ton of others folks(In other words I copied:))This one is a pretty reasonable price compared to alot of others.Seems 250$ is getting to be the norm, and I don't think they offer any more OC then this one.

You can get your e6400 above 3ghz easy with it. Pay no attention to my OC I just got it in Sat. letting it burn in for a week.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question any better.

I think you should be looking for somthing along the lines of a 945P chipset i think...dont q uote me on that.

yeah, I actually found them later... but the P5B boards didn't show up when I was doing the regular search

how are the warranties and customer service on these
I had an Abit unit before and it sucked ***.

Its the same board, its just sold for a lot cheaper because someone opened it and then returned it to newegg.

I think what you are thinking about is when people talk about OEMs like Dell who sell full computers but limit overclocking settings in the bios.

funnyperson1 said:
I think what you are thinking about is when people talk about OEMs like Dell who sell full computers but limit overclocking settings in the bios.

OEM's are not like prebuilt computers but for a company who needs to cut costs a little bit or just doenst feel like making the product outsource the product and have other companies like evga or msi to make the boards while still using the original companies instructions lol to put it into lamence terms

Back