• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have a problem after installing new RAM, No Video???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

primal51

Registered
Hi everybody,
My Aunt wanted to turn her PII from having 32Mb of RAM to 128Mb as well. So she took the case into the computer store and they installed the RAM after having trouble making it fit. So she brought it to me to configure it and test to make sure it all works. When I got it, I booted it up and I can get into the POST and even into the BIOS, however after going through POST it will boot, and there is now video display. The LED for HDD still flashes and the keyboard flashes, then I can not see anything. The worse thing about this is that I can not see any information on the kind of Motherboard. Any suggestions? The video is on the board as is the rest of the periferals.

If it was me, I'd take it back to the store and make them boot it up. Having trouble making RAM fit isnt' good. Otherwise, I'd reseat the chips and see if that goes. Do you get any beeps at all?

OK, here's the thing. When she brought it back to me I attempted to boot, and when i got no video it thing just sat there and kept searching for the floppy. So i rebooted into the Bios and found that i had no HDD located, when I had checked the cables. So i took the drive out and tested it in my rig and it still wouldn't do anything. So i assume it's dead. So i put one of my old HDD 1.01Gb and tried again. It did boot up into command prompt and i said, "ok, i'll install Win98se tommorow".

But when I went to do that, i got the same problem, it would just keep seraching for the floppy. I tried to get it to boot from the CD-Rom and still it would search for the floppy and then the CD-Rom when i had boot disks in both, but it would not take either. SO now it seems that it doens't like my HDD either.

But the really weird thing is that when it gets past POST is goes to the screen listing your componets then goes back to POST and stops all together.

I've desided that I can't do anything else for her so I'm just going to take it back to the shop and tell them what's happening. Any ideas?

Back