• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best two gig DDR kit for my 939 vista box?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Springbok

I've had a 2x512 pair of Corsair 3200LL DDR for a few years now and I was thinking about upgrading to two gigs for Vista. Right now Vista rates my RAM at the lowest of my system components at 4.3/5.9 so I thought it might be getting old.

What are the best 2 gig kits for overclocking on my A8N32? :confused:

I have to disagree with the G.Skill. Although it is a GREAT set of RAM, I'd recommend what I have- Crucial Ballistix Tracers. They're an awesome set of DDR500/PC4000 sticks. Mine will do 290Mhz 3-4-4-10, 1T with only 3.0v... Most GSkills I've seen top out at around 270-280-ish. Plus the Crucials have the cool LED lights on them :D

how much did those tracers cost you? I got my gskills on here for about 205. Plus everyone gets lucky, do you know what people are getting average on those ballistx?

I got GEIL Value 2GB DDR it was the same price 2 years ago for just 1Gb £120 It's a good overclocker and very good RAM. My brother has my old 1GB kit but it's not getting used to it's fully potential as his board don't support Dual Channel and its crap.

The only one I'm familiar with is the Corsair 3500LL, which I've had up to 260 MHz (3-3-2-6-1T @ 2.8v). I simply haven't tested them above that speed so they might go even higher. But I haven't seen a pair for sale in awhile.

Personally, for the A8N32, I'd stay away from OCZ. It's good RAM but some have compatibility problems with it for some reason ...

Those tracers are on the egg for $199/ 2gb and the non tracer ballistix are on for $179 if you dont care about leds. for me, the leds on my lanparty are too bright almostwith a neutral black case around them.
There are also some good cheap infineon/UCCC based modules on there staring at $140.
Been considering the Vitesa's myself. lots of people claim the adata's to do quite well, but the ballistix will make you pretty happy. whether you go them or tracer.

I had issues with GSkill and my board. Corsair on the other hand ran like a beast. The PC4400's I had ran 300 with 2.8v @ 2.5-4-4-8 1T which wasn't bad at all until they crapped the bed. I had to get them replaced with PC4000PRO which i'm not totally happy with :-/

The best the Egg has in stock is some Kingston DDR500 with 3-3-3-8 timings at just 2.6V. There's also Crucial Ballistix DDR500 3-4-4-8 for $6 less but it's 2.8V. The only other DDR500 kit is a Mushkin 3-3-2-8 with an ambiguous voltage rating of 2.6-2.9v.

Looks like I'll invest in the Kingston, maybe this weekend. Anyone know any other places besides Newegg to look for RAM? There isn't much DDR1 left!

Last edited:
Oh man Newegg just dropped the price of the Mushkins to $229 with a promotions code I can't resist!

I've got the Mushkin DDR500 kit and it's awesome. Also, their customer service is great. My first set crapped out on me after 1 year of service, and when I called their tech line, I got a human being on the phone immediately and the RMA process was flawless. I was up and running with a brand new set in no time at all. Based soley on my customer service experience, I am a Mushkin customer for life.

Back